We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

We will be in Milan in 6 weeks for the start of our 2 week Italy trip. I have been to Milan a half dozen times but it has been 5 years since our last trip.

We are three couples traveling, with varying budget, and I am looking for restaurant suggestions that offer good food at a reasonable (not cheap) cost for dinner. Last two trips we have enjoyed dinners at Osteria del Treno but not sure if this is still a good option.

We are looking for simple, well prepared Milanese dishes. We are staying near Milano Centrale so will have easy access to public transport.

I have not been to Navigli or Brera for years - any suggestions in these areas as I would like to check them out.

Also, I remember Happy Hours as being quite an event. Any suggestions where we can have a nice bottle of wine and some appetizers?

All suggestions appreciated!

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Hi caviargal, I will be there in about 6 weeks staying in Navigli, but will be towards the end of the trip and one night will be dedicated to the Bruno Mars concert. I was hoping to get tickets to Aida at La Scala, but no luck so far. I will be looking at the responses here to get some ideas for our one other night in Milan. Thanks for asking the question. Have a great vacation.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Bruno Mars in Milan - sounds fabulous!

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Hi. He will be there on Oct. 26th. It is sold out, but I bet you can get tickets to that concert easier than I can to Aida...LOL

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

As you can see, many Italians on vacation in August. This is not an especially busy forum anyway. Have a great vacation.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Yes, I know. This will be trip 26 for me to Italy. Can't wait!

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Ciao baby!!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Hi, please find below some suggestions:

Traditional regional cuisine:

- El Brellin, right on the Navigli, very scenic and traditional milanese food

- Trattoria Milanese, near the Duomo area, very traditional milanese food in a nice setting

- I Valtellina: outside of Milan, beautiful garden and beautiful restaurant, great food from the Lombardy mountains, one of my favourites in Milan

More modern cuisine with some Milanese roots:

- Ratanà, a very nice place with traditional lombard cuisine with a modern touch, I personally love it

- Erba Brusca, similar to Ratanà, less regional food, nice garden and a bit more emphasis on fresh vegetables

- Manna: a bit of a creative touch but lovely food and still rooted in the northern cuisine

As for aperitivo, it's a bit out of fashion these days, more used by young people to get stuffed cheaply without having to pay for dinner, with very few exceptions...one of them is Hangar Bicocca, it's not in central milan but the setting is great (an old tyre factory), it has a free modern art museum behind the restaurant, and it has some original appetizers based on traditional milanese "tapas", I'd recommend a trip there (it's only 15 mins by taxi from Centrale)

ciao

Cla

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Cia, grazie!

Toronto
Level Contributor
88 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

Thanks Cla for your list!

I'll be in Milan in November and was just browsing to find restaurant recommendations. Thanks for such detailed information.

And I was fortunate enough to get tickets to Aida at La Scala. I had to wake up at 3am local time to purchase online but still didn't get the seats I wanted because they were gone within 10 minutes of release.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants and Happy Hour spots in Milano

I know, getting seats at the Scala is impossible also for us milanese....