We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

We pick up a rental car at MPX Tuesday morning and want to drive to and then park at Central Station so we can take the metro to see the Duomo and not have to negotiate Milan's center with our rental car. Afterwards, we will go back to our car and drive to the Lake Como area (Bellagio) where we are staying for our first 2 nights. We will continue on to the Dolomites, and then drop the car in Venice. Could someone please give me detailed directions from the airport to the Central Train station and parking there? What do I enter into online maps for driving directions and where would we park? Will we need cash to exit the parking lot? We leave for this trip in 4 days, so thanks for any help.

Turin
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

Why do you think that the Central station isn't central?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

There will be ZTLs to watch out for (the zones for which you will not have a permit to enter and for which you can end up getting big fines) - Milano Centrale is, as noted above, central.

If you haven't yet read up on driving in Italy - you may want to do so - you can't enter the cities for the most part so cars are never advised except for the countrysides.

I am assuming you did your International Driver's Permit (IDP) - it is legally required in Italy together with your regular driver's license. You get them at AAA offices - takes about 15 minutes or so.

You should always have cash on hand - you can get some using an ATM at the airport. If there are machines, it may well be a problem as most of us in the U.S. do not yet have chip and pin credit cards. Always best to have cash just in case.

If you google "Milano Centrale car parks Milan Italy" a number of parking lots come up.

Not sure how you would drive there - I would never attempt it.

Good luck!

Hopefully someone will come along with detailed directions for you....in the meantime, you may want to look at a map - that is what I always do.

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

I'm sorry, NapOrsoCapo71, I don't follow your question. If I take A8 from the airport towards Milano will there be road signs directing me to the Centrale Station and to the correct parking lot? Will that route avoid going into the limited traffic zones? It seems the road changes names multiple times between Malpensa and Central Station so I would appreciate an insider's tips. I don't speak/read Italian either so any helpful replies for a first time visitor to Italy would be welcome to avoid getting lost and incurring fines.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,445 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

If you don't want to drive to or near the Duomo, you don't want to drive to or near Milano Centrale station!

Read up on tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-s301/Milan:It… - then look at http://www.micmilano.it/ComeArrivare_en.html - the Duomo metro station is on metro lines 1 (red) and 3 (yellow), therefore the most convenient "park & ride" facilities among those mentioned on the Congressi site would be San Donato on Yellow Line 3 - except that this is in the South of Milan - or Bisceglie/Lampugnano on Red Line 1 - which are in the West (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duomo_(Milan_Metro). I think Lampugnano would be the best choice, see http://subway.umka.org/map-milan.html - but you might need to consider convenience for your departure to Como as well, and of course all of these are actually in the city, which personally I would want to avoid.

You might also consider leaving the car at the airport while you travel into Milan by train!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

I would hire the car from Linate, you could get the train from Malpensa to Milan visit the Duomo, then get the airport shuttle bus to linate and pick the car up from there and drive to Lake Como which is an easy drive from Linate.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,445 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

P.S. Re ZTL (or Ecopass area): you have a map here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Area_C - click to enlarge - from which you will see that it covers the Central Station area.

The problem with the proposal to hire car from Linate is - what do you do with your luggage?! Unless you pick it up from MXP, but then if you have to go back there, you might as well hire the car from there.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 18:48
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

They could put luggage at left luggage at Milano Centrale then go to the Duomo; so, take zippy 40 minute train from Malpensa to Centrale, store bags, off to Duomo, back to Centrale for bus or taxi to Linate. That would solve all the headache - especially given there will be jet lag involved. I never want to mess with the ZTL stuff after getting off an international flight and also before a challenging drive as the one to Bellagio - all pretty intense after that kind of flight.

Making this as stress free as possible would be ideal.

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

Thanks, MomCat1992. I have read some of the driving tips on this site and do have my IDP. I was trying to save time by driving in closer and not have to backtrack to the airport before going on to Lake Como, but it looks like we may need to leave the car at the airport, take the shuttle to the rail station, and then the metro to the Duomo and then repeat in reverse direction to get our rental car for the rest of our trip. Does this plan make more sense? ( I actually wanted to pick up the rental car in Como, but couldn't get those arrangements settled so our car pick up is in Milan.) Is the "yellow line" the fastest way from the station to the Duomo?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

For whatever it might be worth, I have twice picked up a car at Malpensa and driven towards Milan on A8, both times about 9-10 in the morning and found the traffic to be terribly heavy and slow. It will be hard to plan timing.

I like the idea of Chrella, reply #5, you could probably leave the baggage at the rental car office, or go ahead and rent the car and put the bags in the car and leave it sit for a few hours, or there may be lockers to rent at Linate.

Maybe the rental folks would switch you to Linate even if they could not arrange for Como.

Dublin
Level Contributor
455 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from Malpensa Airport to Central Station?

Why not save yourself the trouble of bringing your luggage all the way to Milan? I would rent the car in malpensa, leave the luggage in it and get the airport express train to Cadorna station from where the duomo is a couple of subway stops or, if you prefer, a pleasant 20 min walk through central Milan. When you are done, get the train back to malpensa, pick up the car and drive to como.

I would not advise anyone to drive through Milan, it's doable of course, but very stressful and time consuming, heavy tragic, one way streets and, as mentioned already, exclusion zones which are not clearly marked. And then there is the question of the luggage, if you leave it in the car in a public car park, either near the station or at a park and ride facility, there is the strong possibility that it could get stolen.