We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Venice

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Venice

Hi there. Currently planning a trip to Italy in June 2014. I definitely want to take a train from Milan to Venice and I'm wondering the approximate cost. Also, how long does it take?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Venice

The cost depends on how far ahead you book. For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns (Milano Centrale to Venezia Santa Lucia).. There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

Edited: 20 September 2013, 03:41
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Venice

Thanks for that. Can this be done as a day trip in your opinion?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Venice

Not really. As you would have seen if you followed the link I gave, the journey takes 2h35 each way. I would not want to spend 5 hours of precious holiday time sitting in a train, especially as the scenery is nothing special.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Venice

sydneynick

I looked at the link earlier this morning. I was on my mobile photo when I made the post, hence the delay in viewing the link. Although the journey is 2hrs 35 mins each way, it seems based on the schedule that it can be done in one day. I'm contemplating doing it this way as I'm only spending three nights in Italy and would prefer to use Milan as my base without overnighting elsewhere.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Venice

You can do it in one day, but you waste 5 hours just sitting on trains. If you have only 3 days in Italy, it seems incredible that you would want to waste that much time.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Venice

sydneynick

I've been to Italy before. Just wanted to see what Milan and Venice has to offer on my next trip. Do you think it's worth it spending the night in Venice?

Regards

Edited: 20 September 2013, 14:39
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan to Venice

The way I see it, I have done day trips from London to Brussels and Paris before which are both 2 hrs by train from London as well... and I got A LOT done haha.

8. Re: Milan to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:24
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan to Venice

Frecciadellalaguna90

Can you make any suggestions to me on places to stay near the Santa Lucia railway station? I am now considering spending two days in Venice.

Regards

10. Re: Milan to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:19