We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 hour transit time in Milan Central

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1 hour transit time in Milan Central

Hi,

I will be travelling from Venice Santa Lucia and reaching MIlan Central Station at 11.25pm. I will then be taking the 12.25pm train to Geneva. Is 1 hour enough transit time? Is there anything I need to know about transferring trains? Is the walk far? I will have my elderly mother with me. TIA!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

One hour to change trains is about 50 minutes more than you need. You just walk off your train, look at the departure screen to see which platform (binario) will be used by the next train, and walk to that platform. Trains do not always use the same platform, so it is impossible to tell how far you will have to walk.

However, the departure screens will not show the platform information until about 20 minutes before departure time, so you will have more than 30 minutes to sit in the bar and have a coffee or a glass of wine.

canada
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

My experience with Italian trains is that they are usually late to arrive, often up to 25 min at Milano Centrale. I missed many connections there before. So one hour is perfect. No need to rush, go near the big board and buy a snack while you wait for platform confirmation. Enjoy your holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

The fast trains, such as Venice to Milan, make few stops and usually run very close to the scheduled time. The local Regionale trains make many stops, with the potential for a delay at each of them, and it is not unusual for them to run late.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

A train delay can be caused by a number of reasons, some of which just impossible to preview (e.g. suicides).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

Woah, suicides! That's interesting but hopefully it doesn't happen when we're there. Thanks for all the contributions!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
969 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

I agree : "woah, suicides"......I certainly hope that is a rare occurrence.

I have always found trains to run on time in Italy.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

Not as rare as you imagine loverofmilan.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

There was one yesterday near Turin. It is frequent enough for Trenitalia in its terms and conditions to specify that no refund can be claimed for late arrivals caused by suicides on the tracks.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 10:19
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

This is (probably) going to change soon due to curia.europa.eu/juris/liste.jsf…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
969 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 hour transit time in Milan Central

That is really terrible. I am sorry to read it is not a rare occurrence.