We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do around Centrale station

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Something to do around Centrale station

I'm landing at Milan's airport next week at around 8:30 and have a 12:05 train booked to go to Venice. I plan to take the Malpensa express into the city, and seeing as I'm not checking any luggage, I could potentially have around 2 or so hours to spend near the train station. Anything to see, do, or eat near the train station that I could make good use of? I do plan on returning to Milan a few days later, so can probably wait on any must-see sights if they're not particularly convenient.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

If you check a bag, you may be done with immigration and baggage retrieval by around 10, then about 40 minutes or so on the train to Centrale (and you may have a bit of a wait for that train) and basically you could end up getting there around 10:45 plus -

I've never seen much around the station (even having stayed near it a few times) and the station itself now has some nice shops and nice spots to get a decent bite to eat, which is what I've done that past few times I've there - one of the spots I like to eat at is the one directly to your right as you enter the station from the main entrance.

I hung out there last year for a bit over an hour while awaiting a train to Rome - was peaceful, good food and convenient.

If you decide to leave and wander - you would have to check your bag at the station and you never know just how long you might have to wait in line to retrieve it before your train. So, I'd probably just stay put.

Your train's track (binario) number will likely be posted about 15 minutes prior to departure so you can then be relaxed about getting to your track, finding your train car and boarding.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

Thanks for the advice! I actually don't need to check a bag, I'll be carrying a large backpack and packing light. Good to know there is plenty to do around Centrale.

I have a friend meeting me there...is there any particular cafe at the station that he can wait for me at?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

You could suggest the one I mentioned in my post. It's just to the right when you enter in the main front entrance. There are a few tables inside the station just outside of the cafe and then there are some tables inside the cafe (very very good coffees) - nice sandwiches as well. This is it: milanocentrale.it/it/…bar-panzera-2010

For the other cafes (and other useful info about the station) there:

milanocentrale.it/it/…food

General station info:

http://www.milanocentrale.it

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

Hi justcris82, No checked bags, you should make it Centrale Station by 10. You could hang around or take a metro to the Duomo which would take about 10 minutes or you could take a metro to the Navigli District and grab some lunch at one of the many cafes there. If you decide to stay at the station, please walk about outside a little to see the exterior of the Station. It has some amazing architectural elements, but watch for the pickpockets who are always lurking around. They may even look like professionals. It is a huge place on several levels and if you do take the metro to the Duomo or the Navigli (Green Line Porta Genova stop) which I highly recommend, allow some time to take the stairs and the escalators back up to the tracks. You can also walk, but it takes about 40 minutes each way. I would not hang about the station after being on a plane for so long and then getting on to a train. Walking about in the daylight is just what your body needs to cure jet lag. Have a great trip and I highly recommend the "Free Walking Tour in Venice". You can sign up online. You just should tip the guide.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

It takes a brisk 15-20 minute walk to the Duomo from CS. Better than hanging around the station watching all the down-n-outs and beggars.

6. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 21:46
Edited: 20 November 2013, 21:46
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It should help me make good use of my time.

8. Re: Something to do around Centrale station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19