We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trenitalia train luggage

Benghazi, Libya
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trenitalia train luggage

dear all

I'm traveling to Venice from Milan by Trenitalia train , I have 2 big bags " like the ones go on to the plain carriage " and 2 small bags "cabin baggage " I'm wondering whether there is a place for them in the Train . also should I come before my train ? how many hours before my train

thanks

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trenitalia train luggage

Be at the railway station 15 minutes prior departure and you'll be fine.

There are no proper luggage carriages on Italian trains. On Frecciabianca between Venice and Milan you can put your bags (big ones) on luggage racks at the center of the carriage or between two seat rows (small ones).

BTW, try to pack as light as possible. Travelling with four bags won't be comfortable at all. There are three steps to get onboard the train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trenitalia train luggage

Some great information on traveling trains in Italy at this site:

roninrome.com/transportation/train-travel-it…

Your train's track (binario, in Italian) will usually only be put up on the departure board abut 15 minutes before your departure; but, when I go to a new station (especially one as large as Milano Centrale), I like to get there about 20-25 minutes before just to get an understanding of the layout of the station, etc.

If it is just you with all that luggage, you will have a very difficult time - the steps mentioned above, into the trains, are very narrow and steep and very awkward and there aren't staff around to assist you to get your bags up into the trains. If that is for two people, it more possible but you really do need to try to only pack what you can easily carry and lift or it will be challenging.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trenitalia train luggage

Do not 100% trust what you read in the link provided - a significant part of the information provided is out of date.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trenitalia train luggage

Can you say what is out of date, please? It would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trenitalia train luggage

While you can take on board the train as much luggage as you can carry (and lift onto the train and, where applicable, overhead racks), 2 large and 2 small bags would be far too much for one person to manage, so I hope you mean this is for a group of you. In addition, having that much luggage to watch can make things difficult in busy stations where pickpockets and bag-thieves operate: and Milano Centrale is just such a station.

Between Milan and Venice (and other major cities in Italy), there is a door-to-door luggage service that you might want to consider using: www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trenitalia train luggage

roninrome.com/%20transportation/types-of-tra… is out of date: Flessible and Amica fares do not exist anymore, Familia fare has been modified

roninrome.com/transportation/the-trenitalia-… is out of date: rules have changed

roninrome.com/transportation/the-trenitalia-… is out of date: trains' categories have changed, Frecciarossa have no 1st and 2nd class anymore, seats of IC trains' 1st class are different from those showed in the picture

http://www.roninrome.com/transportation/ntv NTV has increased it network

and so on

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trenitalia train luggage

Thanks - very helpful.

Benghazi, Libya
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: trenitalia train luggage

thank you so much for your help ,,, really appreciated

9. Re: trenitalia train luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 07:19