We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Southport, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Car hire

If one hires a car in Milan , can one take the car into France / Switzerland ? If so, which car hire firms ? Thanks.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,172 reviews
from US$157.19*
Lake Como Day Trip from Milan
1,429 reviews
from US$96.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,881 reviews
from US$84.08*
Likely To Sell Out
Best of Milan Experience Including Da...
175 reviews
from US$121.86*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

Any of the major rental companies will allow this (Avis, Europcar, Hertz) but plan to return the car in Italy. There are substantial one-way fees if you pick up in one country and drop off in another.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

You can take the car into other countries but as nick says the drop off fees are very high so look at other alternatives like the train if you can't return the car in Milan.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

You do not necessarily have to return the car to Milan. One-way rental fees within Italy are either cheap or zero, you could could return the car somewhere else in Italy.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

If someone ever gets in contact with Firefly or www.rentalcars.com, watch out!! They claim the car will cost only half the price, if even that, on the website. But when you arrives there is extra fees for everything!! I chose the maximum insurance and an extra driver on the website, but this was only for show. To actually have the car secured from normal accidents and theft, I needed to pay a minimum of 5 days extra insurance, although I was renting the car in 2 days! This was more than the actual rental price. They also claimed that the website only "book" for an extra driver (can't really understand the purpose of that) so we needed to pay extra for that as well. This caused the price to be more than twice as high as what I originally had payed for on the website. Furthermore, I was lucky that I paid for it all with a debit card as they (without telling me) tried to charge an extra €100 for fuel before I left. We had such a small car that fuel for €100 did not even fit in the tank! Luckily that was not possible with my debit card for some reason! So just as you know, there is always extra, and a lot... Do not trust them.

5. Re: Car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:17