We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lake District

If you have seen the Italian and Switzerland Lakes, which would you recommend? The Italian lakes Lake Como, Varenna, Bellagio, Lake Maggiore or Stresa? If so, which one will have the most to offer? Or the Switzerland Lake Lugano in Ticino? I will also be going to Switzerland, any recommendations for someone who does not ski or hike but want to see alpine villages, beautiful scenery, and the mountains? Please help.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake District

Lago Maggiore is my favourite. Islands are amazing.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake District

Thank you for your reply. Any ideas on what to do, place to stay, restaurants for two days?

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake District

When are you planning to come?

My favourite is Garda lake.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake District

Hi, Lake Garda has more to do and has the advantage of being near to Venice and Verona but if you want to combine a visit to the Swiss alps then Lake como would be my choice.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake District

All 3 are beautiful - pick which one is better for you transport wise and go!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
1,674 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake District

I suggest Garda Lake: Sirmione, Gardone with the D'Annunzio House, the gardesana street to Riva del Garda and Arco di Trento with the Caslte

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake District

So many choices: Lake Garda, Lake Como, Lake Maggiore all in Italy or Lake Lugano in Switzerland. After visiting one of these lake districts, I will be headed to Switzerland in Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, and possibly Gimmelwald or Wengen or Zermatt. I am still undecided on which of the lake districts to consider for my visit. Please help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake District

how long will you be there? that might help to narrow. when you like apples, its hard to chose between a granny smith and a macintosh, that's probably why you're feeling the analysis paralysis :-)

lake maggiore over como. como on lake como wasn't a favorite of mine though i'm glad i saw it, i would go back to that lake but would stay elsewhere

lake garda over lake magiorre

stresa was magical. its beautiful and has an amazing little island off the shore where you can have a lovely dinner. but only so much to do and see there. a bit touristy but still lovely. we stayed at grand hotel des Iles borromees and the grounds were breathtaking but i have no doubt it was crazy expensive (i'm a DIY and this was part of a collette vaca family tour)

lugano was the easiest connection to luzern for me as i came your reverse route, FROM north

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake District

Ok - so skip Lake Como and Lake Maggiore. I have to decide on Lake Garda, Stresa, or Lake Lugano. Can you help narrow it down to which one would offer the most in scenery and just so beautiful that you'd want to go back time and time again? Thank you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,109 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake District

Stresa is located on Lake Maggiore, and if heading to Lauterbrunnen, then stay on Lake Maggiore.

Vagabonda