We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train question about Milan to Rome

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Train question about Milan to Rome

I have a question about train tickets from Milan to Rome. I see that there are many prices including super economy. Can anyone tell me the difference in the seat? Aside from the fact it's cheaper? Am I better off buying it online before I go or should I just get the ticket in Milan. I will be staying in Milan a few days before heading off to Rome. Thank you in advance for you help. BTW- any suggestions about traveling and safety would also be appreciated. I am traveling with my family and speak no Italian.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

It's just like buying the cheap tickets on an airplane. There is no difference other than the price unless you go from 2nd class to 1rst class which is usually not worth the cost.

The super economy fares cannot be changed or refunded so be very sure of your travel plans before purchasing them. They sell out quickly as they are capacity controlled. They go onsale 120 days prior to travel so if you book then you have the best chance of getting the lowest fare. If you wait until you get to Italy you will probably only find the base fare available.

Donna

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

Thanks Donna! I really appreciate your advice. I am going to purchase them today online. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,534 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

Alert your bank that you are going to make a foreign transaction or they may not allow the transaction to go through; if you are using American Express, you don't need to alert them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

a fellow miami beacher (well, i was there for 10 years on sobe).

if you know your itin then book ahead to save $$. in this day and age, class is no longer worth the extra $$.

from personal experience, buying as needed on site will assure you flexibility but indeed higher fares.

have a great trip!

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

There is a difference to the trains, however. The "Regionale" trains are slower, make more stops, and in my experience have been a much less pleasant experience than the Frecciarossa trains. The difference is similar to riding in my nephew's '67 VW bug vs. my neighbor's MBZ S500. As with all things...you get what you pay for. (If you need to use the restroom on a Regionale train and you are going through hilly or winding terrain...good luck! I was barely able to stay on the seat while holding the hand rail with both hands! Sorry if that is TMI.)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,457 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

You can only book the regional trains one week in advance, so if the OP is booking them today they are more than likely the fast ones.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

Hopefully so. For his sake and his companions. Actually, my train ride from hell (really only the roller coaster part of the trip from Gaeta to Naples...and I am a Gaeta!) occurred on an Intercity (1589) from Chiusi to Naples rather than on a Regionale train. Never again!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Can't wait to go to Italy!

9. Re: Train question about Milan to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 06:17