We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Hi folks, I have a somewhat complicated and intricate family trip coming up in May and there is only one piece of this trip that is still giving me sleepless nights. We will be traveling from Florence by train to Milan where we catch an 11:00 Easyjet flight to Athens from T2 at Malpensa airport (gate closes at 10:20). The earliest train available gets into Milan central station at 08:40 which seemed reasonable to me when booking the tickets, though now I beginning to wonder if that leaves enough time to get to the airport. Any advice or previous experience would be very much appreciated. Cheers, Tim

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Not enough time. For a flight leaving at 11.00 for Athens, you need to be at Malpensa by 09.00.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Hmmm, the ticket states that the bag drop closes at 10:20 so I guess that I would need to arrive at the airport by 10:00 to be on the safe side which if the train is on time gives me 1h 20mins to get to the airport, is this reasonable?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Not at Malpensa. If you are not there 2 hours before the flight, you probably will not get on. There can be significant queues for bag drop and security.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. Now to see if I can change the Trenitalia tickets.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Hi, the train to Malpensa is usually the best option but it goes to Terminal 1 then you have to get the shuttle bus to Terminal 2 which might mean you lose time so the bus would be the best option as it goes from Central station to Terminal 2 but you'll have to hope there's no problems with traffic.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Hi Chrella, Thanks for the advice, I see that there is a bus leaving the station at 09:00 and arriving at T2 Malpensa airport at 09:45 which would have worked, but apparently I need to get to the airport 2hrs before I fly (09:00), unless anyone knows any different!

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

You should take the bus, it goes directly to t2 (and I remember it stops in t2 before than t1).

With the train you'll have to take the bus to go from a terminal to the other.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

>>Now to see if I can change the Trenitalia tickets.<<

If you bought Super Economy tickets, these are "no change, no refund".

Economy tickets can be changed once up until the booked departure time, but only at a train station in Italy on payment of the difference between the Economy fare paid and the full Base fare.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

Any more advice or experience regarding whether it is possible to get to the airport and check in within the timeframe would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

10. Re: Milan Central Station to Malpensa Airpot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:23