We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

Just a quick note to share my experience. I spent 1/2 a day trying to buy train tickets on the Trenitalia site - calling credit card company, clearing cookies/caches from my computer, registering on the site...etc...

PEOPLE... especially from USA...DO NOT BOTHER with Trenitalia. Instead, go directly to Italiarail.com and purchase your tickets. It is the same exact price as trenitalia plus a $5 processing fee. If you email them they will very kindly refund you back the processing fee.

It's a no-brainer. Beth and Mike were so helpful! Never again waste time on the Trenitalia site!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

I never have any trouble buying from Trenitalia - will continue to do so - have bought tickets from them easily since they first started accepting US credit cards - so, for about 6 or 7 trips, I've had no problems.

I'm never sure what the issues are that some people end up having but if people have trouble with it - do use Italiarail -

Use whichever you like and is most user-friendly for you.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

Agree with MC, I've booked 4-5 tickets with Trenitalia from the US (after notifying my CC's) and I've never had a problem for any destinations.

Not sure either of what issues some people have, but the option of Italiarail is there now. You just have the extra step of getting the processing fee back.

new york
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

It's just nice to have an option if it doesn't work for you. I am grateful to all who suggested it.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

I am Canadian and used my Capital One MC to buy TrenItalia tickets (3 x 3 separate times) no problem

I just needed to also answer the "SecureSite" online verification

I think one should simply try all of VISA, MC, and AMEX if one fails

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

Italiarail is just one of Trenitalia sales agents in the US - see the full list at www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,472 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

I note that the list of agents posted by FF includes Rail Europe and its website. While Rail Europe may be an accredited Trenitalia agent, its website does not sell Trenitalia's reduced fares, only the full price Base fares.

Italiarail sells the reduced Economy and SuperEconomy fares online as well as the Base fares.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

I noted that myself, Perilizia. Besides, RailEurope notoriously marks up fares considerably - and I wonder if that is acceptable under the terms of their contract with trenitalia (since all the agents get a commission off the ticket price).

8. Re: Italiarail vs. Trenitalia for USA resident

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:19