We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

We will have two long travel days on our Italy Vacation. First, Monterosso - Venice ( May 4th 1055 innercity to Milan and 1405 Milan to Venice Frecciabianca) and second Trieste to Bellagio May 9th ( 9:38 train Frecciabianca to Milan the the regionale to Varenna ). Can anyone tell me if it pays to book First class ? My husband is not a great traveler to start with so if there is a big difference in comfort I would pay the extra for First. But if there is little difference Id appreciate knowing that. Question applies to Innercity, Regionale & Frecciabianca trains. Thank You 1

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

First of all you don't book the regional trains. They are unreserved and never booked up. The high speed longer route trains require reservations in advance. (The sooner the better for good fares.) Second class is fine and very comfortable.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

Intercity Monterosso-Milan seating is usually in six seat compartments (joined by a side corridor) - three seats facing another three. The only difference between first and second is that there are fewer compartments per car in first, therefore more legroom. There are a few open cars, as below....

Frecciabianca trains have open cars - in first, seats are arranged in 2+1 formation, in second, 2+2. In first you have greater width and legroom, but whether it's worth paying the extra is doubtful - depends on taste.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,689 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

There's nothing wrong with second class. It's very comfortable as far as my experiences go. I've never used first class on Italian trains, as I'm quit ehappy in second and don't fancy paying the extra!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

We used both first and second class (sometimes first was actually cheaper booked in advance) in Italy and other parts of Europe. We found very little difference in comfort levels. If you can get first at a good price, go for it. But otherwise it's not worth the extra cost.

Level Contributor
1,281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

Never buy a first class ticket in Regionale. Most of times there isn't any difference with the second class.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

Yes, sometimes the regional trains just put a 1st class note on the window of the 2nd class so no difference in comfort the only difference is that it will be lass crowded on some routes.

7. Re: First or Second Class Train Tickets ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20