We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

Hello All,

I plan on staying in Milan 4 days at a hotel close the Stazione Centrale so we, 19 yo daughter and I, can take 2 day trips and leave to Nice, France via the station.

The 2 day trips I'm considering are the Como area and Torino, but I'm open to other destinagtion suggestions. I would like to know what are the trains we would have to take to these destinations from the station.

For our trip to Nice I know I have to take a local train (Tranitalia) to Ventimiglia and then get a French train that arrives every 30 minutes to NIce. Does anyone know what time is the last train of the evening from Stazione Central to Ventigmiglia?

I am open to suggestions!!

Thank you for your help!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,235 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

See www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and looking for trains from Milano Centrale to Ventimiglia. Or to Como San Giovanni (or Varenna-Esino) and Torino (Tutti le stazione).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

The train from Milano Centrale goes to the Como station "San Giovanni". From there, you might want to use a cab to go about 3 KM to the lakefront or the nearby square with cafes and shopping. Another option would be to take the train from Milano Centrale to Varenna.

Ferries on the lake leave from Como or Varenna, so from either one you can visit Bellagio or other stops on the lake by taking the ferry.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 01:25
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

Thank you for your replies!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

Hi, I would give Torino a miss and do a day trip to Lake como and another day trip to Lugano in Switzerland or Bergamo.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

Advance purchase online of the InterCity trains from Milano Centrale to Ventimiglia can give substantial reductions,

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

Would you know how far in advance is necessary to receive a discount? Is 4 days prior to day of travel enough for the discount? Thanks!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

Thanks! I'll look into these destinations for the day. I would have never considered Switzerland !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,235 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

>>Would you know how far in advance is necessary to receive a discount? Is 4 days prior to day of travel enough for the discount? Thanks!<<

Tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. There might not be any discounted tickets still available 4 days before travel.

9. Re: What train do I take from Central Station in Milan.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 06:16