We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kemwel car rental

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Kemwel car rental

Hi all, Has anyone here ever rented a car in Milan from Kemwel car rentals? Their prices are superb which makes me suspicious!

I appreciate your input!

26 replies to this topic
Houston
Level Contributor
6 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kemwel car rental

I have had nothing but excellent results with Kemwel and consider them a very reputable agency. We recently rented a compact 2014 Fiat diesel wagon for 12 days from Kemwel in Milan (MXP) in which they used Europcar which is another fine agency, but their individual price was considerably more. We drove almost 2000 miles during our round trip to Florence, Rome, the Amalfi Coast, the Adriatic, L'Aquila, Urbino, San Marino, Bologna, Trento, the Alps near Switzerland and Lake Como. A good book to purchase if you traveling around is Back Roads Italy (Eyewitness Travel) and Michelin's 2014 Road Atlas of Italy (1:300,000). Kemwel's rate was significantly less than other rental agencies online and the rental experience by phone to the corporate office in Maine was beneficial. No additional payment was due except for a road tax that all agencies charge after the car is returned. We had been told that this would occur. Their rate included CDW and theft (Italy requires this, so that benefit of your credit card is not useful) and I chose to pay for a no deductible plan so that any dents, etc. would be covered. The cost was relatively cheap and worth not having to be hassled at the end in case of some scratches. If you are traveling on any of the toll roads (and you will probably do this if you go from the MXP airport to Milan or farther onward), your credit card will work, but the self-use machines takes some learning initially until the gate goes up and the machine says "arrivederci". Be sure to ask for a printed receipt if you want. Your credit card also will work everywhere else you shop except some of the petrol stations since our cards do not have a chip that takes a pin number (coming to the USA next year). Although the cost is a bit higher, it is usually minimal and is not a problem during the day since the attendant will handle the transaction. But if you want to fill up at night when the station is not manned with an attendant, you will not be able to do so. Be very careful in some cities, especially in Florence, Rome and Milan as there are areas where you can be ticketed via a camera receiving a substantial fine months later in the mail.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 22:51
Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kemwel car rental

I have rented a car with Kemwell for the fall, so haven't used it yet. I was comparing prices with Autoeurope with whom we have rented before, who will match any price. When I called Autoeurope for a price match, they told me they recently bought Kemwell, so which ever phone you call, you get the same office. We have been happy with the customer service from Autoeurope so I'm assuming all will be well with Kemwell.

BTW, today, the price on the same car I had booked last month was about $125.00 cheaper than what I had booked. Just called them, and no problem. They refunded the original booking and rebooked at the cheaper price. This happened to me the last time we went to Italy. Just keep checking prices after you book.

NJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kemwel car rental

Thank you !

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Kemwel car rental

Kemwel car rental is a middle man with deceptive pricing. The rate they quote excludes "local fees;" in my experience they quoted a one day car rental rate of 40 Euro. Then the "local fee" for actually picking up the car at the airport was another 50 Euro.

Don't use Kemwel; go direct to an car rental company and skip the middle man and their deceptive fees.

NJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kemwel car rental

I rented a car for 13 days in Italy. The rate was ridiculously low, so i was very hesitant, called them several times and read the reviews carefully. At the end, i decided to go with them. I picked up my car with no problem, and they gave me an upgraded car and everything went fine. I signed some papers and upon my return i realized that the europcar (the company which i picked up my car from) charged me an extra 140$...still a much better deal than many other car rental places...which i think included a collision insurance (which i signed without knowing it). Now, it turned out that the extra insurance which i paid for, was a god sent! We had an accident in Rome and that extra 140$ covered it... So, to sum up, if you are going to Italy, make sure you get the extra insurance even if it is not included in your original agreement with Kemwel. Note that Amex does not cover Italy...

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kemwel car rental

I'm so glad to hear you were happy with Kemwel, as we are still booked with them for October. The price has just gone down again and I have rebooked at the lower price. It almost seems too good to be true so it's good to know you were well taken care of. I wonder if some of the extra $140.00 you paid was the was the vehicle license fee of 3.40E/ day which they tell you about in the contract with a maximum of E51. That doesn't quite add up to $140.00 but there is some sort of tax on top of that. Whatever it is, it is still cheaper than any other rate I've seen.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kemwel car rental

Dericvito, It is always more expensive to rent a car from the airport. There are different prices for different locations. If you look at the web page carefully, you will see that the best prices are for pickup away from the airport. You need to do your homework and read the fine print carefully and then you won't be unpleasantly surprised. These are not deceptive fees, they are the cost of doing business at expensive airport locations.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kemwel car rental

I've used Kemwel on multiple occasions since 2000 and consider them to be a reputable company with very good rates and would gladly use them in the future. In fact, I have a pending contract for a trip to England next month.

I think most of the criticisms posted about Kemwel stem from inexperienced travelers not understanding what Kemwel is. They are a broker, not a rental agency. The rates they offer depend on the country and date of travel and availability from the agencies they use. When you rent through Kemwel, you get a voucher that is presented to the actual agency in country.

Kemwel is very clear about what the voucher covers. In my experience, you are offered two rates. The basic rate is car only. The more expensive rate includes some insurance coverages. My credit card covers auto rentals, so I always take the basic rate, your mileage may vary.

Kemwel is also very clear that some additional changes are not included in the voucher and will be paid to the agency in country. In my recent trips, those have been one way drop off fees and a small local tax.

What many inexperienced travelers don't understand is that tourists are seen as walking ATM machines. When you pick up your vehicle, you will be offered any number of extra insurance, services and fees. The Kemwel voucher is very clear that these are optional. The agent gets a commission on these, so they will try very hard to get you to take them, but they are optional. As long as you select a car from a reputable company like Europcar, Hertz or Avis, you won't be forced to take the extras.

The other thing is that it is essential to do a complete inventory of the car you are given. That means mark every scratch on the inventory form and take lots of photos. The disappointment on the check-in agents face when they can't charge for old damage is obvious.

San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kemwel car rental

How was your experience with Kemwel car rental? I have a car booked in Italy this month and was looking for feedback on the company. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kemwel car rental

I assume you've read the post just before yours? As expected, my most recent Kemwel transaction went exactly as expected using Europcar as the actual agency. Rates and fees exactly as expected, no problems dropping off at a different location.

Reply to: Kemwel car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted