We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of driving in Milan

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beware of driving in Milan

In May of 2013 I rented a car and drove throughout Italy on vacation. Milan was one of cities I visited. More than one year later I received a traffic citation for 199 euros stating that I had never purchased a ticket to drive in downtown Milan. Neither my wife nor I saw any signs posted about this anywhere. Either this is a unique scheme by a twisted genius to scam tourists or a brilliant way for the City of Milan to discourage tourism!

Edited: 09 June 2014, 17:43
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

It is a very bad idea to drive in any Italian city with more than 50,000 inhabitants, because of the "restricted zones" which are "traps" for anyone (non-locals) who are not intimately familiar with their exact location. They are worse than traffic cameras in the United States which catch you if you fail to make a full stop or cross a red light at an intersection.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

It's a brilliant way for the City of Milan to discourage the use of cars and to force people to opt for public transport: we try to be ecological. Ps: the same thing happens in London!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

Heaven forbid a travel planning on driving in a foreign country should read up on the laws/rules in that country before going there and getting behind the wheel. It is always so much easier to blame the city as trying to scam the poor "innocent" tourist. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

Takes 5 minutes to do this crucial research and the responsibility - shockingly - is on the traveler.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

I see. So a vacationer should research in advance the restricted zones and 'traps' of every city and town he might decide to visit once in Italy. Once again 'brilliant'!! We were traveling throughout the country for 3 weeks and determining our itinerary as we went. What a great way to welcome tourists.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

That is exactly what a person should do before driving in any foreign (to them) country

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

Exactly, vacationers should do that. I don't find it particularly tough to make a little research. Tourists are more than welcome but in italy live more than 60 millions people who need some regulations in order to keep their normal life. A traveller should adapt to the hosting country, not the contrary. I travelled in Finland, I didn't blame the government for expensive and overtaxed alcohol, I accepted another lifestyle. I think it's normal when you travel abroad.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

The world - nor, Italy - is made up just for the service of tourists. The reasons - in case you care even now to take a peek - for such restrictions are clearly articulated given the nature of cities that are thousands of years old vs a few hundred (i.e., Orlando)

If ever decide to visit other cities in the states, you may find some surprising differences in traffic laws as well - i.e., in NYC, you can't turn right on a red light and if you do, the police officer giving you a ticket isn't going to give a hoot that you are a tourist here to spend your precious tourist dollars.

Personal responsibility - and all….

Turin
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

To tell the truth, all ZTL and congestion charge zones in Italy are well signposted. The problem is that the international sign that's used all over continental Europe is not common in US.

You were not expected to learn about forbidden zones in many different cities, you had to learn only one single new sign.

These are the ZTL "gates" in Milan: http://goo.gl/3TAZ4N I don't think you did not see those signs, I think that you ignored what was different from what you are used to.

However, even if it was bad for tourism the protection of our historic cities is more important than money.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 22:24
NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

ITALIAN VISITORS - BEWARE OF DRIVING IN ORLANDO (yes, shouting to get your attention)

…orlandosentinel.com/keyword/carjacking

At least I do not think car jacking is so common in Milan?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of driving in Milan

My guess is that the OP missed the charge imposed on them (via the credit card they used to rent the car) by the rental car company.

The rental car companies provide a person's contact information to the authorities (as the person who had the car when the camera took the photo of the license plate when the violation occurred) - usually that fee is charged to the person's credit card (which one agrees to when signing the rental car contract) before the arrival of the actual fine.

I know a few people who didn't look closely at their credit card bills and then went back to check after I mentioned it and there is was -