We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milano centrale to malpensa airport

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Milano centrale to malpensa airport

I feel this question has a simple answer to it but I find myself confused. I am flying home from malpensa airport at 09:10 on Sunday morning and was wondering the best way to get to the airport?

I have found the bus times, it claims to take 50 minutes to get there. Has anyone used this service before? Is it reliable?

And also, is there a train I could take alternatively?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beth

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

best is to take the Malpensa express

www.malpensaexpress.it/en/

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

Yes, the train is the best option as you don't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic.

Boise, Idaho
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

We recently chose to take the train (Malpensa express) rather than the bus, as it was going to take the same time as the bus, and the tickets at 12 Euro each were reasonable. The only thing that I would add is that when we traveled on June 5th, the track number (binario) for our train from Milan Centrale to Malpensa wasn't posted until 5 minutes before it departed. We were waiting at the opposite end of the tracks, so between lots of bags and people to get past, we missed the connection. Fortunately, the next one left 30 minutes later. We learned from an Italian who was also waiting with us that it always leaves from one of the first few tracks, i.e. 1 - 6 or so, so we would advise waiting at that end of the station until the exact track is posted.

Milan
Level Contributor
568 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

There are two different Malpensa express trains leaving Milan to Malpensa airport terminal 1. One leaves from Cadorna Station, more centrally situated in Milan and the other one from Milano Centrale station leaving usually from either track 2 or 3 both arriving at terminal 1. Please note that if your flight leaves from Malpensa terminal 2, mainly used by the low cost airlines, you need a free shuttle bus connecting the two terminals. For terminal 2 the bus might be more convenient since it serve both terminals and usually stop first at terminal 2 and the shuttle bus would not be required. Traveling on Sunday you would not expect lot of traffic.

Nibbius

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

A follow up to this question, as I too must get from downtown Milan to Malpensa, for my flight home to USA (after my first-ever visit to Italy!)

What typically happens if a passenger misses an outbound international flight, for any reason (I'm flying Alitalia)? I've never missed a flight before, but then, I mostly fly domestic flights from an airport 6 miles from my house! If I did miss my Alitalia flight (despite my best efforts to reach the Malpensa airport 2 hours early) would Alitalia work to put me on a later flight? Would there be penalty fees involved in that? (I understand I might have to quickly find a hotel, if the next available flight wasn't until the next day, for example...)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

And one more follow-up;

For Malpensa Express leaving Milano Centrale -- if I am coming into Milan on a Trenitalia train, due to arrive Milano at 9:10am -- assuming it is on time -- does that provide enough time to reach a departing Malpensa Express at 9:25am? (ie, 15 minutes to deboard the train, find the new platform, board the new train?)

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

I think you would be best served by contacting your specific airline for this.

Normally, missing a flight means buying a new full price ticket on the next available flight. And claiming missed flight benefits on your travel insurance.

Milan
Level Contributor
568 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

Trains to Malpensa from Milano Centrale always start from the tracks nr 2 or sometime 3. These tracks are not aligned with the others so you have to walk a little bit but this will take only a couple of minutes. If you already have the malpensa express tickets than you should go immediately at the beginning of tracks 2 or 3 where 5 minutes before they would display the exact track, 2 or 3, of the departing train to Malpensa without waiting for the ad. Stamp your ticket in the green machine before boarding the train as required. 15 minutes should then be ok.

Nibbius

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

Thanks for the input -- I'm back home after a delightful week in Florence.

From Malpensa to Milan Centrale upon arrival, we opted for the shuttle bus -- eh. It was morning, weekday, we got slowed down in heavy traffic; took 1 hour 20 minutes. For my return to Malpensa to fly back home, I opted for the Malpensa Express train, and bought my ticket online in advance. All went very smoothly, took less than an hour, and I found it a more scenic ride overall, than the bus had been, for only 2 Euros more than the bus.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Milano centrale to malpensa airport

I need to pick specific trains when buying online on the Malpenza Express website...what if i miss that train? Can I take another? Thanks -