We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick transit to Rome via Milan - possible?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
125 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Quick transit to Rome via Milan - possible?

Hi all!

Thank you for taking time to read and answer this query.

Arriving Milan 10:40am (Thursday Nov 20th) from JFK (New York).

Intend to get on Alitalia connecting flight to rome at 11:50am.

Both flights will be operated by Alitalia. I have already purchased the first flight JFK - MXP. I have not yet purchased the MXP - FCO flight.

Both flights fly to and from MXP and not LIN.

We are on Singapore/Hong Kong passports. DO you think it will be cutting it too close to fly in and get on the 1150am flight? Will we have to collect our luggage and re-check in or will Alitalia be able to route it directly to FCO? MXP will be our first point of entry into the EU.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,974 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick transit to Rome via Milan - possible?

This isn't a "transit" and in my opinion you need at least 2 hours - and I would rather have 3. Unless, of course, Alitalia tells you they will consider both tickets at the departure airport...

You say you have already bought the JFK-MXP ticket, so the MXP-FCO ticket would be entirely separate, which means that this is not a connection in the context of a single journey (JFK to FCO via MXP): it is 2 separate journeys, with an "arrival" - picking up luggage and leaving "airside" for "landside", i.e. entering Italy, followed by a new "departure", i.e. checking in from landside for the second flight, exactly as if you had reached MXP from Milan rather than coming off another flight.

It's not your nationality (passport) that determines where passport controls take place, but where your flight is coming from, which in this case, for the first flight, is outside Schengen: so whether "transiting" or entering Italy to check in for the second flight, you will go through passport control at MXP.

Had you been merely changing planes on a single ticket, on the other hand, your luggage could have been sent directly to FCO. As you aren't, but travelling on separate tickets, you will take it through customs on arrival at MXP. Therefore you need time for luggage to be delivered (I'd allow up to 1 hour) plus the time anyone starting in Milan would need for check-in for the Rome flight, where I would say 1-2 hours (although the absolute minimum is 35 mins: https:/… - which I must say seems to me to be barely enough to get from check-in to certain departure gates!).

So unless you do get assurances from Alitalia that they will treat it as a single ticket (you never know!), if you do book this second flight with a 70-minute gap, you will be gambling a) that you will not only arrive on time but actually be getting off the plane at 10:40 and b) that you can get from the arrival gate to passport control, through passport control, and receive your bags within about 25 minutes: leaving you 10 minutes to get from baggage carousel to check-in (or bag-drop, if you were able to check in online in advance) by 11:15!

Edited: 30 July 2014, 00:59
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
125 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick transit to Rome via Milan - possible?

Thx Qaminari! You saved us a lot of trouble! WIll plan something else then! :)

3. Re: Quick transit to Rome via Milan - possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:16