We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel in Sept?

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to travel in Sept?

Hello all,

We are planning a two week trip to NW Italy in Sept. What is the weather like and is there much difference between the area south of Turin and the area near Aosta (assume it is much cooler...rain too?) We would like to do a week around Turin/Alba/Bra and a week in the mountains. We like to spend as much time outdoors as we can so just curious if the weather will allow.

Also assuming we fly into Rome, is it better to fly or take the train to Turin? The flights may be expensive I woudl think but of course much faster..?

Thx, G

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

Hi G, September is fine. You can't predict or beat the rain when it comes but some of the biggest event in Piedmont are held in this month

(Asti's Palio and Festa delle Sagre, or Gattinara's Harvest Festival).

Surely it'll be cooler around Aosta but still worth going, it's lovely there too.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

HI! Easier by train, fast trains. Not only by Trenitalia but also the competitor "italo". Do have a look. have a nice trip!

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

Hi G,

September is usually one of the best months to visit Piedmont, warm but not like summer heat, sunny days and balmy nights and its not a rainy month (although of course there is always the chance of a shower, Aosta would alo be very nice.

From Rome easiest to take the train, what you lose in travel time, you will make up some with no airport transit or wait. Stop off for an overnight in Florence or Lucca if you don't want to do it in one stretch.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

Thanks all, for your great advice.

We had not considered stopping along the way and always wanted to see Lucca.

We are not "crowd" people but going to smaller local events and festivals would be great ...will do more reading.

Cheers, Glenn

Settimo Rottaro...
Level Contributor
638 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

Good day, sorry for my bad English.

If you want came in Turing/Aosta you have look for arrived with airplane at Milano? Is more near.

At Turin and near, there are many castle, Savoia house, monument and museum to look.There is also a beauty lake for swimm, or look the natural panorama. For have more info about Turin and village in the area

http://www.turismotorino.org/index.aspx

For Aosta http://www.lovevda.it/turismo/default_e.asp

If you want Ivrea and Canavese district are between Turin and Aosta.

Good vacation.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 13:53
Settimo Rottaro...
Level Contributor
638 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

For the mountain there is also

santuariodioropa.it/db/en/sport-nature/cable…

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

Hello Romina,

Thanks for your kind advice. I had not thought to fly to Milan. i will look at it!

We do not know much about this part of Italy so I thank you also for telling me about Ivrea and Canavese districts.

Ciao e Grazie,

Glenn

8. Re: Best time to travel in Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Piedmont
Recent Conversations