We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

We will be in Turin this weekend to see the Holy Shroud and attend the mass of the Holy Father and I had a couple of questions.

I was wondering how close you are actually able to get from the shroud and if you able to take photographs of the shroud? We have tickets/ time reserved.

I can not wait to be there! I have wanted to see the shroud since I was a child! We are actually spending several days in Turin and looking forward to all the wonderful food I've heard about in the region. We have ChocoPasses and are excited to explore the city as we taste all that lovely chocolate!

Also wondering if there is a particular restaurant we should visit that makes a really good spaghetti carbonara?

Thanks for any advise you may have for us!

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

I think that for spaghetti carbonara you need to go to Naples, its not a Piedmontese dish.

United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

When you leave the video presentation, stay on the left as you are funneled into the church. You will then be on the lowest and closest level to see the Shroud. You are still at least 20 feet away from it. There are many signs saying No Photos but there are always a few people who feel that their need for a picture is greater. Even flash pictures were being taken despite a

big sign cautioning about the damage it causes. I always hope that there is a camera malfunction or divine intervention for those people and when they get home their photos are gone.

TAB

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

Actually its not a Neapolitan dish, but actually an American concoction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonara

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

Thank you TABarrett! I appreciate your response! Will stay to the left! Was hoping for more than just a couple of minutes to reflect on such a holy relic, but will also take Villasampaguita's advise and sit in the church for a bit also.

Thanks Villasampaguita! Actually it is very unusual to find carbonara in the United States and the majority of Americans don't have any idea what it is. The very best I have ever eaten was in Florence at Ciro & Sons Restaurant and I was hoping that there was a restaurant in Turin that made a good interpretation as well. We are foodies in the restaurant business. Where do you suggest we dine for the Piedmontese experience?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

spaghetti alla carbonara was allegedly produced FOR the US /allied forces during / after WWII.... because it contains eggs and bacon, which would not have been an 'Italian' 'sauce' !

There are so many variations of it - the one that's supposed to be original, just egg scrambled into the hot drained pasta, with pieces of cooked bacon - is very 'dry'.... the more 'juicy' ones include lots of cream or a creamy cheese sauce.... also not really Southern Italian. In Southern Italy - apart from mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta cheeses, very little cream or cheese is used in dishes - it's not really available so much, as cream and butter are in the North.

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

Golly gee, Piedmont is famous all over Italy as one of the best regional cuisines, its hard to go wrong. Try Tre Galline in the old Roman town not far from the Cathedral for an authentic Piedmontese restaurant http://www.quadrilateroromano.it/tregalline/

and you must go to Eataly while you are in Turin if you are foodies. eatalytorino.it/eatalytorino/welcome_eng.las…

Also take a side trip for a day or two to the wine country around Asti and Alba as all the Taurinese do on weekends for superb and cheap osterie in every town.

7. Re: Questions about the Holy Shroud on display

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Turin
Recent Conversations