We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

Istanbul
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

Hello, we have to reach Chamonix on 31st of Jan 2013 from Turin (Torino). I ve checked public tranportation and it seems hassle. So I decided to rent a car from Turin. It might take 3 hrs in normal conditions. But the problem is that rent a car companies in Turin can not provide snow tyres. They only give chains which Im not used to. Nearly impossible for me. Anyone knows the road conditions from Turin to Chamonix in winter? May we need to install chains? Or the roads are cleaned properly though in blizzard?

It became a nightmare for me, all kinds of replies will be welcomed for me. Thanks all.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

Check this other thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187855-i842-k5792…

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

You will be required by law to carry those chains in the mountains in winter. If you do not put them on when told to (electronic signs on the highways for example), then you'll be in big trouble. If I were you I'd ask the rental company to show you how to do it before you drive off. Don't underestimate driving conditions in winter. It can be very hazardous.

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

Don't panic!

1) You are unlikely to ever need those chain (although having them in your trunk is a must by law and by common sense). In 20 years going skiing very regularly I have probably used my chains 5 times.

2) Putting chains on is straightforward (and I am a damsel in distress with no inclination whatsoever for DYI) just read the instructions (which will be multilingual). It’s just a bit dirty and cold.

3) If you need to put chains on you will be in good (and usually helpful) company. If you are driving on snow and you start seeing other cars stopping, do the same. You will find a bunch of other people all reading the instructions and trying to figure out how to put the damn things on. If there is a handy man / woman around he / she will help (especially if you are a foreigner and keep smiling). And if you find your car packed in snow in the morning, well, join the crowd again!

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I had to stop to put on the chains and of the drivers of the 5-6 cars that stopped in the same stretch of road the chain expert turned out to be a Brazilian student who had seen snow only once before (and the other were mostly locals!).

Just one more thing, you don’t need a 4X4 (any cheapie will do) but you are renting a front well drive aren’t you?

Edited: 02 October 2012, 11:09
Istanbul
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

Thank you all. Chains should be in my baggage, understood.

A front drive is important, yes that s important, thanks viapag to remind me.

I need luck not to snow heavily, we all need luck :)

Not to panic is the most essential part, smile and co operate with other drivers.

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
175 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

yes, by law you need to have chains in your trunk, but consider that the need of using them on the road between Turin and Chamonix is very, very little.

The road is just motorway and tunnel. No normal roads. It never happened to me, in 40 years driving in Italy, that I needed to use chains on motorways, since they are kept constantly clean even during snow falls.

The only place where you might need them is in Chamionix downtown, if it is snowing when you arrive, or if it was previously snowing and they couldn't clean the road yet.

Ciao,

Stefano

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

And enjoy your trip!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

appia, ff , kayak thanks a lot. You helped me with your experiences. And viapag thanks for your encouragement... (dont panic, smile..your on holiday in the end)

Istanbul
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

To make a feed-back; yes I completed my trip last February, and no problem occured. It looks like never a problem would be on that highway. however I kept the advice and bought snow-socks, but thank God, not even once used.

9. Re: Driving rom Turin to Chamonix in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Turin