We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Victoria, Malta
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Hi all,

I am planning a holiday next february in Turin Italy from Malta. Alitalia offers the service to Italy everyday to Turin with one stop in Rome. Is their service reliable? How reliable are they?

Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Alitalia are much better than they were but I personally always try to avoid flights via rome as it's not a very organized airport, if you can get a direct flight to milan then a train to Turin that would imo be a better option.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Agree with Chrella, take a direct flight to Milan then a train to Turin.

From MXP airport there is a shuttle bus to Milan Central Station.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,552 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Flights Malta to Malpensa Aeroprto www.easyjet.com

and check current train times over the next seven days from Malpensa Aeroporto to Turin www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Edited: 31 October 2012, 22:31
Valletta,Malta
Level Contributor
242 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

From Malta you can fly direct to Turin Via Ryanair.... no stop overs...

Victoria, Malta
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Thanks all.

Mario, the problem with ryanair is that it is only available on saturdays and wednesdays.

Germany
Level Contributor
567 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

I will be flying with Alitalia to Turin in March as it was the only way for me to get a cheap flight (they had an internet promotion at the time I booked the tickets) that lands at a decent hour in Turin (or Milan - all the other cheap options I found landed late at night which is a problem if you rely on public transportation).

I don't have any previous experience with Alitalia but I read that luggage that flies to Roma, stays in Rome (even when you continue on your way elsewhere...) so as a precaution I'm only taking a carry on with me and no checked in luggage.

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
174 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

ALITALIA:

Always

Late

In

Takeoff

And

Late

In

Arrival

This is just a joke. Alitalia actually is not worse nor better then other airlines. But I agree what other people say about Rome airport. If you fly through it, better have a long time for change over, in order to avoid problems in the luggage transfer.

Ciao!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,433 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Alitalia is no worse than other airlines!

FCO's ground crew hasn’t been the best with sending along luggage with short connecting times, so be sure to include your name and hotel contact information both outside and inside your luggage. And also carefully pack your carry-on luggage with several days’ worth of clothing and all essentials like medications.

Lost luggage is the fault of the ground crew, not the airline.

Lost Luggage – Oh No!:

roninrome.com/transportation/lost-luggage-oh…

Vagabonda

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

As a transit passenger for flights entirely within the EU, you would not have to go through security, nor passport control, at Rome Fiumicino airport, and could just walk from one gate to the other, maybe even in the same terminal. I can see no reason for concern.

I find Rome's FCO airport to be fine with transit flights. When I go to the US, my transit point choices are Rome and Munich. Notwithstanding myths about German efficiency, I've actually had fewer problems in Rome than in Munich, and have never had a suitcase remain behind, in spite of short transfer times. Maybe it's just been luck.

I think the problems with Rome airport are as a destination or departure airport. I've heard stories about very long waits for check-in and for security, although, to be honest, no one in my family has ever experienced real problems there, either.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,433 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia - Reliable or Not ??

Unfortunately I can’t say that I have never had a suitcase remain behind in Rome or Munich - You have been lucky bvlenci!

Recent US to Italy Alitalia Flyers - Opinions?:

tripadvisor.com/…29875982

Vagabonda