We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Which Turin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Can someone please help me figure out the best train to take from Zurich with the final destination being Turin? Sorry, we are from Hawaii and have no clue about traveling in Europe. Also, we will be doing 3 day return trips by train from Turin to Venice, then Turin to Florence and the 3rd day maybe Turin to Monaco or Cinque Terre or the Lake Como areas. Any suggestions on the best trains to take for these trips? We were told to buy a 3 country Eurail pass to do all of this but I'm not sure this will work for all these trips or if it is the most economical. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yah, any opinions on if it is worth it to go to Monaco just for the day?

Mahalo for your hep!

Settimo Rottaro...
Level Contributor
638 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Good evening, and sorry for my bad english I hope you understand.

About the train look www.trenitalia.it and serch the english flag.

Le frecce is fast train, tutti treni is regional train.

Turin have Torino Porta Nuova and Porta Susa station.

Venice have Mestre in the city and Santa Lucia on Laguna.

For Turin- Venice If are the possibility to find the train that not make stop and change if not you have need to change at Milano Centrale.

For Cinque Terre you have need to serch in whitch of 5 you whant make stop.

For other destination I don't able to help but look also the www.italotreno.it

If you have need of other help....

Romina

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

It's very unlikely that a rail pass would save you any money. If you buy the train ticket from Zurich to Milan on the Swiss rail site, at least two weeks ahead, you can usually get a good discount on the ticket. For the trip from Milan to Torino, you should use the www.trenitalia.it site, mentioned by Romina. If you click on the English language option, you'll automatically see all the trains; only the Italian site shows the Frecce and Tutti i treni separately.

You have to use the Italian names of the cities on the Trenitalia site. This means Torino, Milano, Firenze, and Venezia instead of Turin, Milan, Florence and Venice. If there is a choice of station and you don't know which you want, choose "tutte le stazioni" (all stations). Then the one that appears most often on the schedules is usually the most central one.

I don't think a day trip from Torino to the Cinque Terre would be worth the long trip, four to five hours each way, depending on which town you want to go to. I would suggest Como, although even that takes a little over two hours to Como San Giovanni, and then you'd probably want to get a train (on a local railroad) or boat to some other town on the lake.

Florence is also a pretty long day trip from Torino (2-3 hours each way), and Venice is even longer, about 4 hours each way. Milan would be a much better base for all of these day trips. Do you have a particular reason why you want to stay in Torino? It's a very beautiful city, and a great place to spend a few days, but it's very out of the way as a base for day trips.

3. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:09
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,459 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

For trains from Zurich to Turin, see http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html - choose a connection with only one change (in Milano Centrale). This will take five to six hours.

In Italy, use www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag at the top first for English, and entering the 'hour' you wish to depart, e.g. '13' for 13.00. Use station names as below.

Torino Porta Nuova (or Torino Porta Susa) to Venezia S. Lucia takes around 4.5 hours each way. There are many direct trains.

Torino stations to Firenze S. M. Novella takes 2.5 to three hours each way on direct trains. Italtreno www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx is a competing operator from Torino Porta Susa on this route.

Torino Porta Nuova to Ventimiglia takes three hours for only around €12 each way with one change on Cuneo - there are no advance reductions on this route and no seat reservations, and purchase online is only possible within seven days of travel. Buy in italy . You then take a French train to Monaco Monte-Carlo station for around €4 (buy in Turin or Ventimiglia) …ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mande…

Fastest journeys to the Cinque Terre are to Monterosso. The best destination for a short trip to lake Como is Varenna-Esino station. Find journey times for these on the trenitalia website.

You'll have to do the math yourself on whether a Eurail Pass is cheaper than advance purchase, for which there are substantial reductions. With a Pass you will have to purchase reservations (included in point-to-point tickets) at €10 each per train for all trains in Italy except the Regional trains to Ventimiglia, Regional trains from Milan to Varenna and any Regional trains used in travelling to and from the Cinque Terre.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 22:02
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Thanks so much for all the info. We are actually playing soccer(football) in the World Masters Game in Torino, so all of our day trips must be based out of here on our off days when we don't have games. I realize there will be a lot of hours on a train on these day trips but we don't have much choice, plus I figure this is a good way to see a lot of the countryside!

Settimo Rottaro...
Level Contributor
638 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Good day, but if you are in turin for the Wmg, you have think to visit Turin when don't play? There are many museum, castle, and other attraction to discovery in and around Turin.

http://www.turismotorino.org/index.aspx

http://www.visitatorino.com/en/

Romina

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Florence and Venice are much too far away for a day trip

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

We will be exploring Turin on the 6-7 days that we have games. Hopefully the games aren't right in the middle of the day so we have time before or after each day!

Many have said Florence or Venice are too far for day trips. While on the trains, are these scenic routes where you can view a lot the countryside, or is this not really the case? Or do you have to select certain trains for the more scenic routes?

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

The high speed lines are definitely not scenic. Usually run alongside autostrada or through endless tunnels.

On the other hand there would be no point in your taking the slower trains.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Train from Zurich to Milan to Turin

Thank you perilizia . We are just trying to do what will give us the most flexibility with the trains as we really don't have a set schedule yet, except for needing to get from Zurich to Turin the first day.

I think we are going to do the 3 Country Eurail pass because my traveling companion feels more comfortable with this and believes it will give us more flexibility. With the Eurail pass can we hop on the trains on the www.trenitalia.com and are these considered regional or will we have to pay for a reservation every time we want to go somewhere? That seems like it could get very costly having to pay 10 euro each time.