We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

I understand that there are reasons that some places and activities are

“tourist traps”-they offer spectacular beauty, excitement, history, etc! So there will be plenty of those on our trip, but we are also looking for those “hidden gems”! Places, activities, events, food, off the beaten path! Things we are interested in: FABULOUS food-whether it’s a market or delicatessen where we can put together a wonderful picnic, or an amazing restaurant with great ambiance, character, and local flair! We’re an athletic family who enjoys being outside hiking, fishing, running (races and marathons), exploring woods and castles…. We love modern art, music festivals, all things ancient, visiting places of power and non secular spirituality….And adventure-Ziplining or snorkeling?!!

My family and I will be traveling in Northern Italy for the month of June. Aviano- Cortina-Lienz-Passo Gardena/Pordoi....Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Many thanks!

Maghera, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

All excellent areas. South Tyrol is absolutely stunning. Breathtaking scenery, an abundance of activities, sun shine, perfect weather and very tasty food everywhere you turn. I have been going to the Ahrntal Valley near Bruneck for the last couple of years. Highly recommended.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

Agree with the previous post. Alternative to the Ahrntal are the Val Venosta, Scena and Meltina near Merano or the South Tyrol wine route (Appiano, Termeno, or Cortaccia). What period are you thinking to go?

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

We'll be there the second week in June. Hoping the trails are not still under snow!

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

I wouldn't be so negative. There are chances to be not so lucky in case of a front bringing rain and wet but not to find old snow below the 1000 mt. altitude. You're going to enjoy the trip anyway.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
715 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

Hello Dana,

Here some interessing things to visit and explore , off the common touristic ways:

pustertal.com/en/churches-chapels-gitschberg…

suedtirolerland.it/en/…

alta-badia.org/en/highlights/sights/the-vall…

pustertal.org/en/…

6. Re: Off the Beaten Path food and things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Trentino-Alto Adige