We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolzano in Late May

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bolzano in Late May

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy in Late May/Early June. We are considering a trip to Bolzano for 2 or 3 nights between a week in Tuscany (Florence & Siena) and a couple nights in Venice. Is there enough to do this time of year to make the trip worthwhile? As it is now we would be arriving in Bolzano around May 29 via Train. I was reading that the cable cars might still be closed then and the mountains might still have some snow on them (making any hiking a nuisance).

bologna,italy
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolzano in Late May

May I suggest to travel a little further North along the Eisarch valley 30km on the same train line and reach Brixen ( Bressanone in italian), a smaller walled town with great friendly atmosphere. It offers grood walking occasions in the surrounding alpine countryside, with Novacella Abbey as a must ( 1 h walking along the river), snowy Plose skyresort just over, high standard shopping and excellent food (Oste Scuro and Fink Arcade as the top). Bolzano, that used to be an intimate mitteleuropean town, is now beginning to turn into a busy, trafficated and unfriendly norther italian metropolis, even preserving some precious remaining of the past charme.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
763 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolzano in Late May

Hello, are you planning to spend the time in Bolzano, or the Bolzano area?

If you're staying in Bolzano then May/june is lovely - not too hot, not too cold. There's plenty to do for 2-3 days in the immediate vicinity - Ötzi museum, Reinhold Messner's mountain museum at Firmian, the Renon Plateau, catch the train to Merano/Meran or Bressanone/Brixen or the bus up to the Val Gardena/Gröden or the Alpi di Siusi.

Don't worry too much about snow. Even in this wierd weather year by the end of May it will have gone in all but the most extreme walking areas.

You will see from this site http://www.valgardena.it/en/lifts/page65.html that at least one of the lifts in Ortisei (Val Gardena) will be open at the time you're planning to come.

Hope this helps

DD

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolzano in Late May

One never knows. 2 years ago I was driving back from Lake Garda to Munich over the Brenner late May. We had had bad weather and we were staying at the south end of the lake (storms, one midday temp 12degC, new snow on the mountains to the north - see my pics). As we crossed the Brenner +1degC and yes it was snowing. Happened the year before as well. Last year glorious sunshine.

I must admit it was the worse I had ever seen it that time of year in my 17years of making the journey.

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
175 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolzano in Late May

I will chime in that Bolzano was beautiful in mid-May (with some rain, some sun). But we tried to drive up to teh Alpi de Siusi and got caught in a snow-pellet storm that dumped three inches on our car! This was May 14. The lift from Siusi opens May 22.

5. Re: Bolzano in Late May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 05:15