We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolzano for the summer

Which Bolzano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bolzano for the summer

I'm 25 and will be working with children in Bolzano for a month over the summer. I was hoping someone could tell me what there is to do there for children and also for me. I have weekends free so it might be nice to take off somewhere on the weekends. Any advice would be great!

bologna,italy
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolzano for the summer

Two major valleys have their origin in Bolzano, Val Venosta going West and Valle Isarco leading North. Many minor spin off valleys take you into the Dolomites parks, with different carachteristics, but sporting all of them easy tracks, good food, and some extra attraction. Try for exemple the Bressanone outskirts, Val di Funes first option, but pleasant stay in Bressanone itself, with an easy river track to Novacella Abbey, a Watersport centre and ancient shopping area downtown. Or Chiusa, with a small but pleasant art museum and library. Just off Bolzano, Altopiano di Renon offers great views, good food opportunities and is the start of an easy track leading North among chestnut trees an meadows. Going East, Val Venosta offers pleasant small towns and castles, to be easily reached by bus or/and train:Terlano,Burgusio, Meran, Glorenz ...enjoy! Oh. not to be forgotten, South of Bolzano The SouthTyroler Wine Road, leading to all the little capitals of great local Wine.

Edited: 22 May 2010, 11:04
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolzano for the summer

Within the town of Bolzano itself there is a big lido (open air swimming pool) which will be great for kids in the summer.

There are also a couple of good museums. Kids from about 8 upwards(you don't say how old these are) seem to especially like the Archeological Museum because of the mummy of the Ice Man.

There is a fairground just opposite McDonalds in the "Fiera" area (or there was last time I looked)

You could take the cable car up to Oberbozen and go and see the earth pyramids or do some walking.

DD

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolzano for the summer

May one even mention that you are close enough for a day-trip, or weekend trip to Venice?

That would seem appealing.

ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolzano for the summer

Thank you all. Venice would be a nice adventure. Are there any other day/ weekend trips you could recommend? Also what is the best mode of transport to get out of Bolzano? It sounds like I'll have plenty of exploring to do!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolzano for the summer

To get around Bolzano I'd say walk, cycle or take the bus. Driving in any Italian city is frankly scarey if you're not used to driving on the right, and the centre is flat and compact enough to get around without a car.

Other day/weekend trips could include Verona, Trento, Innsbruck or a trip into the Dolomite mountains.

6. Re: Bolzano for the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bolzano