We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short hikes around Bolzano

Gambier, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
short hikes around Bolzano

October 14 or October 13 I will have a few hours for a hike in or near Bolzano. I don't have a car. Should I take a trail from one of the lifts out of Bolzano or take the bus to Suise and take a cable car up to a high area there. Considering the shorter days are the walks just as nice around Bolzano? Which walk in the mountains would you suggest for ease and beauty. We are in our 60's but reasonably fit. WE will be arriving in Bolzano by train around noon and after looking around the town we will have time only for one short but really nice hike before it gets dark. I do want to get up into the mountains. How often does the bus run to Suise?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short hikes around Bolzano

It is a personal thing and a "few hours" easily turn into half a day.

The 170 bus runs quite regularly to Suisi/Seis (note the Italian and German Name - all places in this region have both Italian and German names and they will both appear on various official info) every 30mins and the journey takes 40mins. On Sundays the buses run every hour.

Use www.sii.bz.it for local transport search "FROM/TO" or just click on "Timetables as PDF and scroll down to the 170

Alpe di Siusi/Seiseralm info

alpedisiusi.info/en/summer-active/hiking.html

alpedisiusi.info/media/6c3ae24d-793e-4d66-a3…

Gambier, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short hikes around Bolzano

I was looking at the bus schedule and couldn't figure it out. It seemed to only give times in the morning. Also, does the schedule thin out in October?

Margreid, Südtirol...
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short hikes around Bolzano

Ok, here's what you want:

Go to www.sii.bz.it/en/siitimetablesquery/d-0

Enter Bolzano Aut. in the "From" field (this is the Bolzano bus station).

Enter Siusi Cabinovia in the "To" field (the cable car at Siusi).

Choose Departure.

Enter the date in the "Date" field, using the calendar that pops up.

Enter the time in the "Between" field. I usually use a departure time about a half hour BEFORE I would actually like to depart, since this assures that it includes buses that might leave only a few minutes before my desired departure time.

Click "Search". This will list the routes possible starting from the desired time. Then a click on "Detail" to the left of the desired route will lead you to a page with prices and information on where you may need to change buses. It will give you exact results for October. The trip will take you ca. 45-55 minutes from Bolzano/Bozen.

On the other hand, you could take the Renon cable car directly from Bozen (every 4 minutes) for a 12 minute ride up to Ritten/Renon at 1000 meters, with earth pyramids, nice walking paths, an old streetcar system and nice views of the Dolomites. (See http://www.ritten.com/en/).

It's mainly a matter of what you can find time for. You may find it better to go directly up the mountain and look around the town later, as it does get dark early and fast, whereas the shops are open until 7pm (museums till 6pm generally) and you can eat as late as 10pm, pizza until 11-12pm.

Gambier, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short hikes around Bolzano

Thank you. That helped a lot.

5. Re: short hikes around Bolzano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Bolzano