We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bolzano

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bolzano

I need to come to Bolzano to attend a conference. I come from New York. What is the best way to get there? Thank you

Edited: 06 December 2013, 23:02
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Bolzano has an airport, but it seems to have no direct flights from New York. You could fly to Rome and then take an onward flight.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Milan would be closer and probably cheaper to fly into. Venice is a possibility or (connecting) Bologna.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bolzano

But there seem to be no direct flights from Milan, Venice or Bologna to Bolzano. Nor are there any direct trains.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bolzano

You would fly to Munich, Innsbruck, Verona, Bergamo or Milan.

valgardena.it/en/…

valgardena.it/en/…

Vagabonda

Edited: 07 December 2013, 00:16
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Bolzano is a tiny airport and i think there's only flights from Rome at the moment and I don't know if they're daily, so would probably be better flying into another hub that has a good train connection.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Sidneynick, I slightly misread your reply #1, but my thinking was and is along the lines of Chrella - there's no through-ticketing to Bolzano airport, so I would much rather fly to a closer airport and take a train. Particularly when flights to Milan are so cheap right now, at least US$200 cheaper than to Rome.

Of Vagabonda's list, Innsbruck tends to be pricy from the US for some reason, but Verona would be a good choice.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Verona is very near Bolzano, 1,5-2 hours by train.

Vagabonda

Edited: 07 December 2013, 13:05
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Darwin Airline flies between Bolzano and Rome (will have to be ticketed separately from your overseas flight). Just be sure however that your connection times are close enough, Fiumicino airport is quite a way's from Rome

Ideal scenario overall however (quickest) I believe would be a flight into Milan LIN direct from the US then high-speed rail www.trenitalia.com (under two hours I reckon) to Bolzano. Watch distance difference to central station from Milan MXP (far) vs LIN (close) airports.

This assumes you can't get to Verona or Bologna or Innsbruck direct from the States: at the point you're connecting flights in Europe, you're better off just getting on the train.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Bolzano

There are no direct flights from the US to Milan Linate airport, only Malpensa.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Bolzano

Take a look at flights into Munich too. There are direct trains from the centre of Munich to Bolzano every couple of hours

DD

Get answers to your questions about Bolzano