We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Hi!

Would like to ask about hiking the dolomites. From what I have read, it seems that they are getting increasingly popular for group tours and hence booking for accommodation needs to be made way in advance. I don't really want to get in a crowded place for hiking as I like a more peaceful environment for hiking.

On the other hands, the rock formations in the dolomites appeal to me.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Last year we spent the first two weeks of July hiking in the Dolomites. On a previous trip we spent two weeks in mid-late September. Both times we did not have advance reservations, but often would call ahead once we were there. The hardest part is the weekends when you get increased local visitors to the rifugios (not sure if you were talking about rifugios or staying in villages - both times we did hut to hut hiking).

In addition, we found that in the popular valleys and spots easily accessible by chairlifts were often pretty busy with day hikers. Huts along the main AV1 and AV2 routes were often pretty busy. But we also had times in July when we were the only people/one of few in a rifugio, so quiet moments are possible.

If getting away from crowds is your main objective, I'm sure you can find some areas that are less visited. But sometimes the beaten path if beaten for a reason! Even when we were on popular trails, it did not detract from our experience (and we are often crowd averse people and used to more wilderness experiences in the US).

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Thank you ! Did you do AV1 and AV2 and try the via ferrate ? From what I read via ferrate can be skipped in AV1, right ? I do sport climbing but never had via ferrata experience .

Other than those routes , do you have other routes to recommend , and did you use a guidebook or just the map ?

Thanks !

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

We did portions of the AV1 on our first trip and some bits and pieces of the AV2 on our second trip. Our trip last year was disrupted by a lot of snow late in the season, so we had to do some rearranging of our schedule. On both trips we found small sections of via ferrata that were basically just some chains on the rock to hold on to. However, my husband did also carry gear for true technical via ferratas and did a few.

The AV1 and AV2 are both fantastic and there's a lot of info since they are more established. It's also very easy to come up with your own itinerary based on how much time you have and what you want to see, although it can take some work to research and put together an itinerary. My husband did the bulk of our planning and used a combination of the Gillian Price books from the Cicerone Press, maps, and online info. We used public transportation both times. It's easy to get around with the buses, so you can easily string together multiple shorter trips together (we ended up having to do this to avoid the high passes that were still snowbound).

This is our trip report/pictures from our trip last year. In it I have links to the books and maps we used:

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/italy2013

This is from our trip in 2011:

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/italy2011

I especially liked some of the more northern sections of our trips because I liked seeing the WWI artifacts and history. Tre Cime and Lagazuoi were two of our favorite spots on our first trip (we also really wanted to stay at Nuvolau, but it was closed for the season for lodging, but did get to eat lunch there). However, those are two very popular areas so will be some crowds. Worth it though - very beautiful!

It's hard to go wrong since everything we saw was beautiful. I would highly recommend the Gillian Price books to help you narrow down and plan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Excellent - thanks a lot pudgy ! I like the.cicerone guidebooks too , have already ordered the treks and shorter walks in the dolomites series .

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Great! They will be a big help in your planning. They are also very useful when you are on your trip.

La Plata, Argentina
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Well hello!! I'm Fede from Argentina! I found your conversation looking info about Dolomitis, too! Thanks for your info Pudgy! it's very specific and detailled and it isn't easy to find information about that area, so it's much appreciated. Good luck on your trip Enigami!! When you come back, if you want to, I'd like to read a whole report about your own experience, so that I can find inspiration for my own trip in the future ;) Thanks and good luck to both of you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

Sure, looking forward to it!

8. Re: Hiking the dolomites in July - very crowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16