We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Como to Bolzano then Bolzano to Florence

Which Bolzano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Como to Bolzano then Bolzano to Florence

Hello there!

We are going to be traveling from Como (the city) to Bolzano and was wondering if someone had the most direct route to this location?

We are going to be staying in Bolzano for three days and are looking for some good hikes for moderate experienced hikers. We have purchased the 50 Short Walks in the Dolomites book but it appears that a lot of these are in other towns. Anyone that has traveled there how easy is it to get to the other locations, the book speaks of the public transportation as excellent and we were planning on using this to get around most places/hikes but was curious what others experience was?

Then we are going to be traveling from Bolzano to Florence and was wondering the most direct public transportation route?

Also do you know how far in advance you need to purchase these tickets for the train rides to and from Bolzano (from Como then to Florence)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Very excited to visit this beautiful area of Italy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Como to Bolzano then Bolzano to Florence

To get from Como to Bolzano, you will usually have to change trains at Milan and Verona. There are some direct trains from Bolzano to Florence, but more often you have to change at Bologna or Padova.

You would be able to buy tickets shortly before travel but for the best prices you need to buy soon after tickets go on sale, 4 months before travel.

See www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag to change to English and looking for trains from Como S Giovanni to Bolzano-Bozen and from Bolzano-Bozen to Firenze SM Novella.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,730 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Como to Bolzano then Bolzano to Florence

The direct day trains from Bolzano to Florence call at Firenze Camp di Marte and not at Firenze S. M Novella, but the latter station is best for connections requiring a change of train.

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
401 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Como to Bolzano then Bolzano to Florence

Hi there, I hope I can help you with the Bolzano-part of your holiday.

There basically are two areas of the Dolomites. The eastern Dolomites are an area that’s spread out across 4 provinces: South Tyrol (Bolzano), Trento, Vicenza and Belluno. The western Dolomites (Brenta-group) is west of the river Adige.

The great availability of public transport is mainly in the province of Bolzano, a bit less in Belluno (Cortina d’Ampezzo etc.). I am not too sure about the other areas since I do rarely get into the other regions. Also, the availability of public transport in the Dolomites is guaranteed in the province of Bolzan only from mid June until mid Sept./mid. October (e.g. routs 471, 465, 461.1, 461.2, 461.3, 442, 444, 449), check on

http://www.sii.bz.it/en/siipdfOldtimetables.

Since the book you have mentioned covers the entire Dolomites you will have to do a lot of travel to do EXACTLY these hikes. But let me assure you: if you pick any location there will be any amount of short hikes just waiting for you. In fact, this is one of the strengths of the Dolomites: the number of trails is plentiful, with all grades of difficulties and durations, and everybody can find something to suit his liking. I always recommend to get Tabacco-maps 1:25.000 prior to a holiday in the Dolomites in order to do some good pre-planning. The maps give you a good feeling of location, altitude and duration of the hikes and tell you where the huts are.

Hope to see you in the Dolomites.

Gerd

4. Re: Como to Bolzano then Bolzano to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bolzano