We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

Chicago,Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

I am planning on picking up a BMW from Munich and driving to Venice through the Brenner Pass in Early February. Is the pass open during that time? How is the weather near that area so far? I am concerned about snow on the roads…my car has sport tires. How well are the roads to Italy from Germany maintained?

Also does anyone know if driving to Cortina in the dolomites is possible in early February? Does it snow a lot in Cortina too?

Thanks .

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

Hi --

Yes, it snows a lot in Cortina, too. More importantly, there is no way to predict what conditions will be in any part of any mountain area in any country at any time a week in advance, let alone a month in advance.

As far as I remember, there is a tunnel at Brenner Pass that was supposed to allow the hightway to remain open through the winter. Open and good conditions are two different things. But in winter, you just have to take your chances.

There should be a web site that you can check for road conditions as your travel time gets closer. One of the local experts will not doubt post the address. I would probably make the drive, but I grew up and learned to drive in the mountains which is very different than the driving on your local highways.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

Hi,

A very useful website for the passes and the conditions on them is...

www.alpineroads.com

The Brenner Pass is the least pass like road I've been on. It is basically THE major highway between Austria and Italy with some elevations to about 4,000 feet or so.

I can't comment on winter driving as we've been a few times in April and October. I'd stay away from the route via the Gardena, Campolongo and Falzarego Passes if the weather is bad. Those are steep and winding passes with lots of elevation. From the Breener and the Auto strada, road # S49 at Brixen/Bressanone is a main road that goes east towards Bruneck/Brunico, Dobbiaco/Toblach and then S51south to Cortina.

Paul

Kauniainen, Finland
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

Hi, we have been driving over the Brenner pass twice in February. Then it was fine. And like someone said here "it is the least pass like road I have ever driven on" - this is so true. But still it is very high up and it is completely impossible to predict. Follow the weather forecasts and the site quoted above - that is what we will do as we are going there agin in week 8.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,510 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

This is an old thread, but for future travelers…

The pass is always open – a major autostrada (A22) connecting Modena to Brenner, and on to Austria and Germany. Expect trucks as well.

The Dolomites have had heavy snows this season, so expect snow, lots of it!

The roads are well maintained.

Vagabonda

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
773 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

Hi, everything that has been said so far is true.

You mention that your car will have sport tyres. Are these the "slick tyres" or winter tyres?

Please bear in mind that to travel in Winter through Austria, and in the mountainous areas of Italy (eg the Dolomites) you MUST have either winter tyres, or snow chains. This is law. It is also common sense.

I see many people driving around here with summer tyres, and even after a couple of cm of snow fall they slide, they slip, they can't even get out of the car park.

If you have an accident and your car has summer tyres, you WILL be held responsible by the police, whether is was your fault or not...

Good luck!!

woodstock new york
Level Contributor
297 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

How are the roads in early October for driving through the Dolomites ? I see photos in which there appears to snow in the mountains above some towns (like Madonna di Compiglio for example) ? How is the weather in Bolzano, Trento, etc ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

Hi,

We've been to the Dolomites (driving) in early, mid and late October 3 times the last 6 years. Driving is no problem and the weather, in my experiences and opinion, is ideal. We've seen snow in the mountains (especially along the Grossglockner Road (in Austria, not in the Dolomites, but leading to them) but not on the roads at all. Weather... similar to fall here in New Jersey. We had daytime temps. ranging from the low to mid 60's to a day or 2 in the upper 70's/low 80's! Night time/early morning we had temps. in the low to mid 40's generally. In my (our) opinion, it's the best time of year to see the Alps and Dolomites! On our last trip the fall folliage was beautiful in some area's. Here's a link to some of our photo's:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Here's a very good website that has descriptions and photo's of the Dolomite passes.

www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php

Bolzano is nice but do check out Brixen/Bressanone also. Simply a gorgeous old town.

www.brixen.org

Paul

8. Re: Driving through Brenner pass in February ..help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 02:16