We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Courmayeur or Chamonix

Yorba Linda, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Courmayeur or Chamonix

Ive been planning to end a summer trip to the Alps with 3 nights in Chamonix but am considering Courmayeur

as an alternative. Accommodations seem superior and it is short drive so I could still do Chamonix. Any advice or opinions?

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Courmayeur or Chamonix

When is it you consider the end of summer? I got caught in Chamonix (not my error..theirs) when the hotel closed for vacation. I would say that Chamonix is better for sightseeing, etc. than Courmayeur. Although you have access to beautiful fooot of the alps scenery (by country road) and national park in Coumayeur.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Courmayeur or Chamonix

I've spent a lot of time in the mountains of France and Italy, including a ten-day trek of the Mont Blanc circuit, which goes through both Chamonix and Courmayeur, and in my opinion, Chamonix stands alone as the premier destination in the French and Italian Alps.

The setting of Chamonix is breathtaking. The views of Mont Blanc and the surrounding peaks are so magical and inspiring that it's easy to see why Chamonix was the birthplace of mountaineering more than 200 years ago. There is so much to do in and around Chamonix that you could spend three weeks there and do something different every day. With just three nights, you'll have a tough time narrowing down your choices of available activities. If you're looking for a lively town with stunning scenery and plenty of things to do, Chamonix is unmatched.

That said, Courmayeur is also beautiful. It's smaller and quieter than Chamonix, and of course, it's in Italy, which is always a plus, in my book. If you're looking for a more laid-back finale to your trip, Courmayeur could be perfect.

3. Re: Courmayeur or Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 07:21