We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

My family and I are looking at a backroads drive from Venice airport (Polo) up through Treviso, Asolo/Maser, Marostica and Bassano del Grappo--seeing the sights along the way--and then rejoin the autostrada at Vicenza to drive to Torri del Benaco for a 2 day stay. Given that we have teenagers, the point is to take a little backroads jaunt and peek at some main sights (no shopping for pottery or drinking grappa!) This is just a little detour on a larger trip involving a longer stay in Venice and then a week in Tuscany.

What sort of time frame are we looking at? I really can't tell from looking at my Mich. map. Can we actually get to Lake Garda in a day (if we leave Venice late morning and don't care if we get there after dinner) or should we plan to spend a night somewhere en route? Main sights we want to see are Villa Barbaro in Maser/Asolo, the Museo dei Alpini in B del G, the castle at Marostica. We plan to come back to Venice later in our trip through Verona, so plan to see Verona and perhaps Vicenza then. Thanks--

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

I suggest you play with www.viamichelin.com which will provide driving directions and rather optimistic times. You can tell it to stay off autostrade, and there are various other options.

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

Thanks--I will try that. Any other suggestions for things along that (as I now see) fairly popular route would be appreciated. Looking for interesting things for the teens to mix up all the wonderful museums and churches we'll be seeing.

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

if you want to break the drive exit the A4 highway at San Bonifacio / Soave (before Verona) and show your teens a real medieval walled town, with a castle on the hill: Soave. And it's the town of the white wine!

Less than 3 miles from the highway exit (you will see it at the foot of the hills), very small, walkable, easy parking and few tourists.

Ciao

Francesco

(the drive should be around 2.5 hours from Venice to Torri: take the A22 at Verona, then exit at Affi, and follow to Costermano and Garda (the town). Torri is next.

Ciao

Francesco

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

And I do love Soave wine, so thank you for that suggestion! We are now trying to decide if we have enough stops along the way (Treviso, Asolo, Bassano del Grappa, Marostica....now Soave, that perhaps we should spend a night along that route before heading to the Lake. We have an extra night in there to play with--so either a night en route from Venice to Lake Garda, or an extra night on Lake Garda. Not a bad choice!

Thanks, S

5. Re: Venice to Torri del Benaco--drive times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2009, 07:25