We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

Which Padua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

Hi,

Can anyone give me your opinion about the boat tour operator I Battelli del Brenta? I would like to hear any pros and cons. And what is more preferable: boat trip to Venice and bus back or just train it into Venice and spend the day there and return? Train frequency during weeknight anyone? How is night boat tour in Padova?

About the card: there are 2 elderly, 2 adults, one 10 yo. Is it still advantageous to get 4 cards for the adults, or the seniors already get significant discounts already?

Lastly what is the typical weather in early half of June?

Thank you very much in advance.

Tidewater Virginia
Level Contributor
266 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

I can't answer all of your questions, but I have taken a night boat tour in Padova and it was a great experience. The boat actually stopped at one location and we all got out and went on a tour of the old city fortifications, including going inside the walls. It was fascinating. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the company.

Early June is a great time to be in Padova.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

AS far as I can see the Paduacard is not reduced for elderly people, and often when there are reductions they are for EU citizens only. The cards are not expensive and your child would not need one as the card covers an adult and child.

Of course you must book to see the Scrovegni Chapel which is amazing and I very much recommend seeing the baptistry too, both are included on the card. The Padua markets are also worth a visit. If you can visit the Villa Pisani at Stra, it has the most gorgeous gardens as well as the villa. I haven't tried the boats but they are listed on the official Padua website and so would be reliable. You get a 10% discount with the card.

www.padovacard.it/eng/index.php

USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

Hi,

Thank you for your helpful replies. We are staying in historic area for 1 week so I reckon we will have time to do all the local interests. It will be unequivocally a religious experience; I am taking my parents there for the Feast of St Anthony. Our age range is between 10 and 80 so my goals are rather modest. I have asked for a private? tour of the basilica but have not heard back yet. Also just wondering if there is a way to get seats in church on June 13th; is it first come, first serve? What time would we have to be there by to get seats do you think?

Besides the stuff in town I am interested in seeing Venice for a day. The villa in Stra sounds great. Night boat an easy diversion. Botanical garden will occupy us for half day. Is biking in and around town safe for me and boy? Is there an old castle or medieval fort (preferably with lots of weapons) that I can take my son to? How about a public swimming pool?

Put yourself in my shoes (US size 6-61/2) and let me know what you would recommend?

Grazie!

Tidewater Virginia
Level Contributor
266 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

There are many, many people riding bikes every day in Padova.

When you go to Venice, take a tour of the Doge's palace. There is an armory in the palace with a large number of weapons.

Padua, Italy
Destination Expert
for Padua
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

Sorry, I never took Battelli del Brenta, I would have to do it soon so I can give some feedback here, there are many people asking for it.

I also took the night boat ride of Padua, it is quite nice even if there is not much to see (the canals are not crossing the towncenter).

On any church the only way to get seats is to go there early, there is no seat reservation available, on June 13rd being there early would become very very early, try to be there at least half an hour before and keep in mind that Saint Antonio Basilique is quite big and they held multiple Masses.

Biking is quite safe if you stay in the town center, otherwise look for the bycycle paths, it's much safer.

There are no medieval forts in Padua, but on the city walls you can visit a bastion (http://bit.ly/a8yl6t) with the cannon loopholes, unfortunately there are no cannons left.

If he really wants to see some weapon, you can take your boy at the Museo del Risorgimento, it is on the same building of Caffè Pedrocchi, it has pieces of the many Italian liberations wars dating back from 1700 till WW2. It's worth watching anyway, I really recomend it, moreover if you have Padovacart the entrance is for free.

If you are looking for a swimming pool, get bus number 5 direction (check the front plate of the bus) Voltabrusegana, ask the busdriver for "Paltana" or "Padova nuoto".

USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

Hello,

Just want to thank you all for your suggestions and comments. This is somewhat of a last minute trip for me, and I feel better already having gotten some feedback here. I Just need to research now on what we should do and see in Venice for 6-8 hours ( again your suggestions are most appreciated). We probably will have time to do one building/museum thing and then spend the rest of the time touring the different sections of Venice. Does that sound reasonable? And is this best done by a hired boat?

Thanks a million!

MP

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

Venice is a walking city though you can get a 12 hour pass for the water buses (vaporetti) at www.veniceconnected.com if you order at least 7 days in advance. You have to specify your pick up day though. Otherwise you can buy a pass when you get to Venice at a bit more cost. Still cheaper than using the vaporetto at E6.50 a ride. Some people have done expensive boat tours and been rather disappointed.

What to see? Well the trip down the Grand Canal is iconic, takes about 35 minutes to San Marco. Get off at San Zaccharia stop.

Basilica San Marco of course (pre book an entrance time of do a guided tour free through the volunteer guide system).

Lots of people also see the Doge's Palace which includes crossing the Bridge of Sighs and seeing the prisons. The palace is excellent and there are printed sheets in each room explaining them. Again, pre book or you may have to stand in line and you don't have time for that.

Take the vaporetto over to the San Giorgio stop and go up the campanile there for a view back to San Marco. Lovely.

Other places are Rialto Bridge and the markets there, though the actual markets are closed by lunchtime. Lots of food shops there still.

And for something completely Venetian visit the Scuola San Rocco which is covered by paintings by Tintoretto and the main room has amazing allegorical carvings around the walls. Tintoretto is Venetian, his paintings are deeply religious, always quite dark with the figure of the Christ or Saint absolutely bathed in light. His picture of Mary over the altar of the Friari church is superb too.

But other people will have other favourites. Have a look at the trip reports that head up the Venice forum and the "Read this first" section as well.

And have a great trip.

Edited: 07 April 2010, 05:14
8. Re: I Battelli del Brenta Operator and Padua card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:17