We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best Venice maps?

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
Save Topic
Where are the best Venice maps?

One thing I learned from traveling to many new places is just any map won't do. You need the right map. Is there a place in San Marco or Dorsodoro that has great city maps?

Best Seller
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
459 Reviews
from US$77.70*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,630 Reviews
from US$80.10*
US$87.30
Best Seller
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,679 Reviews
from US$53.80*
47 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
12,532 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

going....most folks need a map of Venice before they get there as it will help facilitate arrival to the hotel and any other walking around the first day. I found my maps in the travel section of a large bookstore. I actually went to Venice with too many...your guidebook will only have the basics but if you can look online at maps of Venice, you may be able to at least orient yourself. Also, your lodging's website should have directions from the train station and which vaporetto to take, etc. They may also has great city maps for their guests.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

Personally, I prefer to have a decent map before I travel to somewhere new, so I have time to pore over it. I think it is particularly helpful to have a good map of Venice in hand before you get there..

I like the Insight flexi map.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

You're leaving soon aren't you? If so, you might not have time to order a map. For a fairly basic, but decent map any one of the souvenir kiosks sells them for less than 5Euro.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

I too like the Insight flexmap. I would call your bookstore in town and see if they have it. It's nice to have it before your leave to plan out your day activities.

Seattle
Level Contributor
373 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

Going, when we travel, we don't want our first activity in a new city to be searching for a map. We buy a map prior to our travel date so we can plot in everything we want to do the first day. It gives you piece of mind before you arrive somewhere new.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

Could you elaborate what a great city map means for you?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,867 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

And exactly what size you want. Also, do you prefer color or black and white? Should it be large print or just regular sized print?

Donna

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

SpareTire, you ask what is a great city map. Venice is great, no matter which map you use.

For the OP, most news stands sell maps. I know the news stand in Campo San Barnaba in Dorsodurohas maps, chances your hotel (Hilton Molino Stucky) will have some sort of map available free to guests.

Also, when in Piazza San Marco, walk to the Grand Canal, turn right, and you will see a bunch of souvenir shops -they have maps.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where are the best Venice maps?

At the risk of being attacked for this reply, but why not consider using your phone. if you have one. wifi is readily available. it's not clear what you need a map for, but even if you have the best map or maps, it's not going to list specific destinations, restaurants, museum etc. and have all the other features a smart phone would have.

Edited: 15 November 2016, 01:37
Reply to: Where are the best Venice maps?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted