We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight to usa

Newjersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flight to usa

Nonstop flight from Venice to jfk is very expensive. Alternative is Norwegian from Venice to Oslo. 1hr layover and Norwegian to jfk. My question is do I have to claim luggage and recheck in oslo? How about immigration? Is there better alternative such as flight to rome or Venice and then to jfk?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
400 Reviews
from US$77.40*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,599 Reviews
from US$79.70*
US$86.90
Free Cancellation
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,646 Reviews
from US$53.60*
Free Cancellation
8 replies to this topic
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flight to usa

Be aware - I have only flown Norwegian twice (from Venice to Stockholm and back). There was a 40 minute delay both times - an hour to change flights is very tight.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flight to usa

If you purchase the itinerary on one ticket, your luggage will go directly to Venice and you will not have to claim it midway. Some people fly to Milan and then train to Venice. It will 'cost' you additional time, train tickets and headaches. Think this one through.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Newjersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flight to usa

Thank you. How about immigration in oslo? Do i bypass and go straight to next gate or do I need to clear immigration?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flight to usa

I think you would clear immigration in Oslo, because Venice to Oslo is within Schengen, and departing Oslo you will be leaving it.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
305 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flight to usa

You will still need to pass through passport control in Oslo. I've made it with a 55-minute layover but we only made our connecting flight with zero time to spare. Running from gate > passport control > gate with backpacks and kids is no fun.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flight to usa

We fly through Paris, only because there is not a direct flight to Venice from US West Coast and we fly Air France. We pass passport control and additional security on the way to a connecting terminal. It takes us about 40 minutes to do this. We do not get our luggage which goes directly to Venice.

Edited: 11 September 2017, 19:08
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
France
France
Europe
Newjersey
Level Contributor
144 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flight to usa

Thank you. I thought passport control can be skipped if on a same Shengen country? Since Italy and Norway is Shengen, don't you skip immigration at oslo and go straight to connecting gate to usa?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Norway
Norway
Europe
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flight to usa

> I thought passport control can be skipped if on a same Shengen country? Since Italy and Norway is Shengen, don't you skip immigration at oslo and go straight to connecting gate to usa?

The issue is not Italy-Norway but Norway-USA. You have an entry passport control on the first Schengen country you visit or transit through and an exit passport control on the last one.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Norway
Norway
Europe
Reply to: Connecting flight to usa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted