We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing dollars for euros

california
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
changing dollars for euros

Where to change money...either in Italy or before I leave S.F. Or is it a better rate using the ATM? Last year the visa charges were pretty steep as were the charges at the ATM's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing dollars for euros

Do you ask your bank what the charges for your debit card would be, we found that our debit card worked well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing dollars for euros

Do you ask your bank what the charges for your debit card would be, we found that our debit card worked well.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changing dollars for euros

I stayed near the train station in March and withdrew euros from the ATM at the Banco di San Marco branch near the foot of the Ponte Scalzi bridge. It was a 2.50 fee regardless of how many euros you withdrew. I would take out 300 at a time. My bank, Wachovia, charged the current exchange rate, not some inflated rate so paying a flat 2.50 fee was much better than changing dollars anywhere else. I hope this helps you.

Custer
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: changing dollars for euros

Arteacher;

I would stick to the debit card, if I was you. The ATMs were everywhere, from the small towns to the large cities, so it's easy to get funds. On the other hand, looking at the Exchange Offices, the official rate last month was about $1.32 to the Euro, but these places were buying the dollar at $1.42 to the Euro and selling at $1.22. Made no difference, whether it was on the pass thru Frankfurt, or in Italy. Our bank quoted us a 1% fee, so there's a big difference.

Hope this helps.

5. Re: changing dollars for euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 07:19