We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

i think I am right in thinking that it is possible to go up both these. If time allows for only one, which would anyone recommend, in terms of interest and the view from the top?

thanks

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

Definitely the campanile for the view.It also has an interesting history (although that is true of much of Venice).

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,839 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

If you have to choose I think I would go for the Caqmpanile.

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

great, thanks. Two votes to one , and the Campanile it is!

Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

Historical interest, importance and sheer beauty, without a doubt, the Clock Tower. The Campanile, a beggining of the XX century reconstruction (that many venetians hate) serves only one purpose, the views from up there.

Orlando
Level Contributor
40 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

If at all possible do neither and instead take the very quick vapparetto ride from Piazza San Marco to the beautiful church of San Giorgio Maggiore.

There, you can ascend the campanile which looks just like the one at San Marco, for much less, and no waiting.

The view is stupendous as it is the ONLY place where you have the view of ALL of Venice with the Piazza San Marco in the middle of the view.

You will feel as if you happened upon one of Venice's best kept secrets... Because you have! Enjoy!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

I vote for the San Maggiore tower. The church is not to be missed as well. You can get some lovely photos of Venice fom the island too. You can do this jaunt in a very short time.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

My vote is definately for the Campanile of San Giorgio Maggiore. Church is beautiful, correct about the lack of people and views are just fabulous!

I'd rate San Giorgio above both the Campanile, as I prefer the view from there, and although I absolutely love The Clock Tower, I'm happy to look from the outside.

K

ireland
Level Contributor
207 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

I will be arriving in venice this friday and would like to see the san giorgio maggiore church which vapparetto do you take from san marco to go there ?

Orlando
Level Contributor
40 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

Here I am quoting someone who did the research...

It sounds like some far away island with a monastery. It isn’t. It is small, picturesque and right in the heart of Venice. Just 1 single Vaporetto (water bus) stop away from St Mark’s Square is the fantastic little island of San Giorgio Maggiore. It only takes about 5 minutes to get here and you have the best view of St Marks Square and the centre of Venice. You can take the lift up to the top of the church of San Giorgio (3 Euros) and really see the whole of the scenic part of Venice. You can even see the utterly humongous cruise ships in the outer harbour and even the train lines and road leading through the lagoon to this city without streets. Go on, have a visit!

Vaporetto (water bus) line ‘N’ or 82 just 1 stop away from Vaporetto stop ‘ San Zaccaria/Pieta (near St Marks Square)

10. Re: The Campanile or The Clock Tower?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 14:21