We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

In addition to the nice restaurant, we want to treat my mom to a gondola ride. Not sure if there is a certain place you go to get one, or what the going rate is, or if there are ones you want to find/avoid, etc.

We are staying near the Ca' D'oro vaporetto stop, not too far from St. Mark's.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,838 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

You have no problem getting a Gondola in Venice, there are several Gondola bases especially around San Marco, but also they ply for hire on most bridges in the more touristy areas,

This link will give you offical Gondola prices

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k93152…

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,412 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

There are offical gondola stops at

Fondamenta Bacion Orseolo

the Vallaresso/San marco waterbus landing stage

In front of the Danieli Hotel on Riva degli Schiavoni

in front of the Santa Lucia railway station

Piazzale Roma landing stages

Santa Maria del Giglio landing stage

Campo Santa Sofia

Ca D'Oro

San Toma

Close to the Bauer Hotel in Campo San Moise

Southern end of Rialto Bridge, on Riva del carbon.

In addition gondoliers hang out in several other spots. There are usually a couple for instance by the bridge at Campo San Vio

The official rate is 80 euros for a 40 minute ride between 8.00 a.m and 7 p.m.; it is 40 euros for every extra 20 minute

For a nightime ride the rate goes up to 100 euros for a 40 minute ride and an extra 50 euros for every further 20 minutes.

Maximum of 6 passengers per gondola for this inclusive price.

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

Excellent! We are staying at Ca' D'oro and can get one there.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

You could just pay 1 Euro and ride the traghetto across the Grand Canal. That's what we did. It was fun and made us realize that we could have spent a whole lot more for about the same experience!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

Hi, I do not agree with the last poster. We regularly use the traghettos and it is nothing like a 'gondola ride'. Take a gondola at dusk to see glimpses inside the grans appartments. Enjoy. Ciao

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

Actually the Traghetto vessel is identical to a gondola except you don't sit on velvet cushioned seats. True, the ride is shorter and you don't weave through the little canals, but we enjoyed it nonethless and marvelled at the amount of money we did "NOT" spend :-)

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

I agree the boat is similar but the experience is not. A traghetto is, however a good way to get a 'taste'. Each to their own opinion. Ciao

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

Thanks all! We will also be taking the traghetto, but my mom (78) and children (6 and 8) want to experience the excitement of going on a "real" gondola. For the children especially, gondolas are what Venice is all about (of course, they will learn differently once they are there). For a once in a lifetime trip for my mom I will spring for it.

9. Re: Also, where/how do you get a gondola ride?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 19:18