We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

KC
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

I'm thinking of planning a trip to Italy in December (21 through 31) but a potential problem is the fact that I would be in Italy on Christmas and the day after (which is also a holiday??). As of right now I plan to visit Milan, Venice and Florence (I haven't decided in which order or for how long in each city). My question is...will there be anything open/to do on those two days? I could plan to be in a certain city if one has more options over others on those two days.

Thanks for any advice!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

I am sorry, I do not think I can help as have never spent the Christmas week in Italy.

When I was working Christmas - includimg Christmas Day -was devoted to marking examination papers. Then, when I retired we had a spell of about six Christmas/New Year holidays in Madiera some years ago but nowadays we are always at home - we celebrate our Wedding Anniverasary on 30 December so always an excuse for a party.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

I have spent Christmas week in both Rome and Florence. Both were quiet and pretty and I would recommend either. Since Milan is more business oriented, there would likely be less open over this holiday so I would not choose to stay there.

I would chose Florence, then Rome, not Venice (personal taste only).

harrow
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

I agree that Milan would be my last choice for Xmas in Italy.

Venice would probably be a unique way of spending Xmas and will have more to do as it's more tourist orientated for a start.

Rome if you can get into the mass or the Xmas day service at the vatican would also be high on my list.

However, when not spending Xmas in the sun, I like to get into the mountains with picture postcard scenery and snow.

Buon natale how many shopping days to go?????

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

I spent Christmas in Florence when I was travelling during my college years. It was wonderful. We went to Christmas Eve mass in the Duomo (everyone stood), then a Christmas morning service at an Episcopal church, which was in English, so we were able to sing all the traditional English Christmas carols. Afterwards we went out with some other students we had met at the Episcopal church, and had dinner at a restaurant which was empty except for us! After dinner we walked around Florence. It is a great memory.

I would definitely go to Florence or Venice over Milan.

What about Rome? Mass at St. Peters, then walk over the bridge by Castel Sant Angelo to the Piazza Navona Christmas market? That would be great!

KC
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

Thanks for the info. Definitely either Venice or Florence for X-Mas. Now I just have to decide which one (trying to decide now because it determines where I fly into) and need to book my ticket before prices change :-)

Any thoughts on itinerary? I can fly into Milan and spend a few days, then on to Venice and end in Florence or fly into Florence and hit Venice and then fly out of Milan. If I fly out of Milan, one of my full days would be a Sunday and not for sure if many of the shops would be open...

(Saving Rome for the next trip--limited time this trip and ticket price helped determine where I would go. Plus, love to shop, so Milan will work!)

Thanks again for the help! First time to Italy...

6. Re: Christmas in Milan, Venice or Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 01:20