We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

venice to florence

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
venice to florence

Hi people,

My family (wife and 15 year-old boy and me) are planning to spend a week in Venice from Dec. 27th to Feb. 02. After that, we intend to visit Florence. I would like to know the best way to get there, train, bus or plane? Any idea about prices? I am little inclined to the train but I am also a bit wary about safety? (those stories about stolen pieces of luggages etc). Do I need to book the trip in advance? Another question, are there any low cost flights from Florence to Paris or London?

Thanks a lot!

Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$173.90*
US$193.90
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,567 reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from US$75.10*
US$91.30
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
295 reviews
from US$81.30*
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: venice to florence

The Train is really the best option, reasonable and reliable

www.trenitalia.com

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: venice to florence

Definitely the train, just try to keep your luggage near you.

Low cost flights - there are probably others, but Ryanair fly Pisa to London Stansted very cheaply, and Pisa is easily accessible from Florence.

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: venice to florence

absolutely the train

luggage theft is not really a problem, keep an eye on your things

the newer ES trains are nice, you do need to reserve but not far in advance since you are traveling in winter

Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: venice to florence

Take the train. We had our luggage over our seats -- theft would have been impossible. My daughter and myself felt perfectly safe and with reserved seats it was very easy. By the time you had to arrive early at the airport any time advantage would be gone. There isn't any point in getting to the train station too early as the train may not be there yet and there won't be a bin. (platform) assigned yet. We got there 45 minutes early and stood around for a half hour!

5. Re: venice to florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 08:27