We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
748 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

My husband and I plan to take a day trip from Peschiera del Garda to Venice with our children (aged 12 and 9) when we are on holiday in Lake Garda next week. The train arrives in Venice at 11:10 and we will probably catch the 18:51 return. This is our first visit to Venice. I would be very grateful for any suggestions for a whirlwind tour of the city. Which waterbus will take us on the best tour and where should we hop off? Are there any particular sights/attractions that might interest the children?

I have used the search facility to do some research for our planned day trip but, having only recently booked our holiday to Lake Garda, I have had limited time to plan an itinerary for the week and research the Lake Garda and Venice regions. Any assistance woud therefore be much appreciated! Thank you.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Hi JP

Well, we're off to Venice in a couple of weeks time and honestly, we were tempted to try Lake Garda for a day trip but the 4 nights we have in Venice I don't think will be enough and the farthest we might venture is a day trip to Padova whicb is just half an hour on the train. I personally would rather have a separate holiday in Venice Let the children enjoy the lakes as Venice I have read doesn't offer much for children - art, architecture etc. If the weather is nice I'm sure they would prefer to explore the lakes area - why don't you try a ferry trip or two to Lake Como or other parts around Lake Garda? I am looking forward to Venice soon and Lake Garda or Como next year. Please let me know what you thought of Lake Garda and any hints and tips etc.

Hope you decide well and the children get the most out of Italy making them fans for life.

best regards

Cheryl-Berkshire

somerset
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Hi,

We are planning to do exactly the same thing when we go to lake Garda with our children (aged 8 and 5) on August 26th for a week. Did you manage to discover the best itinerary for a family? I'd be grateful for any suggestions, I think one day in Venice is a must. Can you remember what time the train left Peschiera in order to arrive in Venice at 11:10?

Many thanks!

Strabane
Level Contributor
551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Hi jigglypuff and others - we have just come back from Lake Garda last week - as we flew into Venice we decided to stay the first night their and take advantage of seeing a wonderful city.

We had about 6 hours to look around and basically what we did was we got on the No 1 or you can get the No 2 vapperatoo which took us right up the canal until we got to san marco approx 45 mins to an hour as far as i remember. When you exit the train station Ferrovia (ST Lucia) just to the left but directly in front you will see the ticket office and landing stations ACTV - it shows clearly the bus numbers and times its usually every ten-15 minutes.

As each one way ticket costs €6.50 youd be better purchasing a 12 hour pass for €12 i think, its not much more and then you can get on and off wherever and whenever. On arriving at San Marco - we walked and explored the streets which lead us to San Marcs Square which the kids loved with the pigeons and then further on to Rialto bridge it is well sign posted. As we didnt have to time to see any of the major sites like Dodge palace etc we just sat about and took in the views and atmosphere whilst enjoying the lovely pizza and icecream.

We then done the journey back again from San Marco in the opposite direction but this time passing under rialto and back to Ferrovia (ST Lucia Train Station).

I hope you enjoy and hope this helps.

Strabane
Level Contributor
551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Cheryleberkshire - I have just returned from Venice with kids and I hope if you were to read my report titled " Wonderful! Venice a wonderful world - even with kids" it will put your doubts to bay - I hope.

My kids enjoyed it anyway.

Strabane
Level Contributor
551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Cherylberkshire - as the train from Venice to Lake Garda - Peschiera only takes approx 1 hour 20mins it would be well worth the visit to see the lakes - on arriving at the train station if you walk toward the centre of town or get a taxi to the harbour which is just across from the tourist information office you could either take a ferry to see the lake and towns on it i.e. sirmone, laize, garda etc or if you just go to your left and walk for approx 5 mins along the lake edge you will come to the pebble beach where you will be able to relax take in the sun and the kids can enjoy a swim in the lake.

Its definatley worth the trip.

londonderry, N.I.
Level Contributor
262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

Hi jigglypuff,

as Grainne rightly says, kids can enjoy Venice, last year we took ours (age 9 & 11) from Peschiera to Venice as a day trip and they thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact this year we stayed the last night of our holiday to Peschiera in Venice and again they loved it and in fact sat through the Elton John concert in St Marks Sq and even quite enjoyed that. Venice is a wonderful experience to see day to day life being carried out on water, also they will love travelling the length of the Grand canal on a vaporetto as it gives their legs a rest and they can see all the sites. Ours enjoyed crossing the canal on a traghetto, visiting the Jewish Quarter and the Rialto Bridge. Allow them to take photos and it is amazing what interests them and what photos they will come home with to remember their trip. My advice is don't miss the opportunity to see Venice when you are so close.

regards Connie

west midlands
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

get a water bus ticket 6.50 euro for 12 hours the No. 1 goes to all stops on the Grand canal. May I suggest you get on a water bus tour the grand canal go under academia bridge rialto bridge get off at st marco and see st marks square,see bridge of sigh infront of you to right of st marco sq. be prepared to que for clock tower views of venice are fantastic from top (8 euro) and dodges place. Then walk through square follow signs (on building walls high up) looking a shops as you go to Ritalo bridge plenty of little squares, churches as you go . If you haven't been to venice before a gondola ride is a must they will point out places of interest. Hop back on nearest water bus to station again for your return again signs for Vaporetto on walls of buildings its like a maze have fun. You can get a private water taxi tour on the grand canal they can go off the grand canal, get a guide book from WHS £3.99 it has a map in.ENJOY

somerset
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

We took a day trip to Venice whilst staying at Camping Del Garda in Peschiera. It was brilliant. The kids highlight was Pigeon Square (St Marks!!). Again, family tickets (20% discount) cost 35.20 euros each way. We caught the 9.23 train from Peschiera and the 17.51 train back from Venice. At Venice, you need to look for the train to Milano – they tend to go from platform 6 or 8. If you are intending to catch the Vaporetto (water bus) from St Marks Square back to the station, leave at least an hour as the water bus is very slow!! We didn’t take a gondola trip – too costly!, but we caught a Traghetto (pared down gondola for public transport) from the Penny Guggenheim side to Santa Maria del Giglio, just so we could savour the experience (50 cents each!)

My Venice tour route took the Vaporetto to Rialto where we disembarked so we could enjoy the last hour of the market, which closes at around midday. I then yomped the family through the medieval streets to Campo San Polo, across to Campo Santa Margherita in the Dorsoduro district. We had lunch at Locanda Montin on Fondamenta Di Borgo – not cheap (hence 3 plates of veg and a plate of chips!) – but it is an institution, a wonderful secluded courtyard garden shaded by a canopy of vines, a favourite of those who know (at least, that’s what their brochure says, which I picked up from the bar on the way out!!). Bought ice cream on the Zattere, took the Traghetto across to St Marks, fed pigeons and then caught a Vapoterro back to the station from the Riva Degli Schiavoni.

That was my Venice in a nutshell – I’d love to go back without the kids and spend a raucous masked week there at Carnival!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

We also just returned from Italy and did a day trip from Pra delle Torri near Caorle. We drove to Punte Sabbionne and took the ferry to Venice for e6.50 one way but we did not pay for the children. My kids (6 and 2) loved Venice - the boats, water, bridges, pigeons, houses and palaces with front doors on the water, venetian masks to try and that special one to buy, 'white' spaghetti lunch in a shady quiet side street restaurant and the unintended excitement when the ferry left without my husband on board - what more could kids want!!

The only bad thing about taking my kids to Venice is that they now prefer their spaghetti to mine...

10. Re: Family day trip to Venice from Lake Garda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 22:24