We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice between Christmas and New Year

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockport Cheshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Venice between Christmas and New Year

My husband and I would like to visit Venice again between the Christmas and New Year holidays and I wondered if anyone can tell us whether the shops, bars and restaurants will be open and do the vaporetti and also the Alilaguna boat from the airport run?

I'm a bit worried we might be visiting a ghost town as businesses maybe take a break between one holiday and another.

Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Janet

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,846 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice between Christmas and New Year

I really do not think you will have a problem, Venice will be quiet as anywhere is at this time, but things will be up and running it is a living City,

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice between Christmas and New Year

A few restaurants are closed from December 25 until 15 of Janaury da Fiore is one of them. Just check their hours of operation before you go..

For the most part it is business as usual.

have a great holiday.

Rome
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice between Christmas and New Year

We were there ourselves exactly during this period a couple years ago, and everything was perfect. Business basically as usual, and far smaller crowds. The city has a kind of magic in winter that is lost in all other seasons. You see palaces and churches sort of arising out of the mist in the early morning, and you feel less guilty in popping in and out of bacari and cafès because ultimately one has to fight off cold...

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice between Christmas and New Year

You will find that after the 6th of January more places will close as they then take a bit of a break after the festive period.

Venice never closes down completely however so you will never be stuck for something to do or somewhere to eat.

Being such a tourist hot spot they know when the cash is coming in and Xmas/New Year period is one.

5. Re: Venice between Christmas and New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 14:19