We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illegal Bags in Venice?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Illegal Bags in Venice?

Just come back from Venice and noticed men selling Prada and Gucci bags on the floor outside the posh shops.

Would love to have bought one but my husband wouldnt let me saying I had too many bags and they are copies anyway and its illegal to buy them! Is this true?

And also what price do they sell them at as I am interested in knowing the difference.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,846 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

These Bags etc. are sold by these people in all big Italian Cities, it is just as much an offence to buy them as it is for them to be sold, there are big fines involved,

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

Yes it is illegal.

There is a thing called Copyright and that applies not only in Venice but all over the world.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

I too,saw these bags being sold when there a couple of days ago.How do they get away with selling them virtually right outside the designer shops?

I had already purchased a bag at Furla so was not interested but would have loved to know how low they will go.Has anyone ever bought one?

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

As has already been said by two respected experts on this forum, the bags are illegal both to sell and to buy.

There are huge attempts now to rid Italy of this type of commerce.

Verona is another city where you will now find large signs all over the city letting you know what the risks are when buying from these people.

They are fakes, illegal fakes and very obviously fakes.

Better a lovely Furla bag which is real rather than a tacky fake Prada/Gucci in my opinion.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

last time i was in venice, fun to see all the bags laid out on the floor, then the sound of a whistle through the alleyways,and the bags are hurrily picked up and they all run off, to their next alleyway, where there are no police to catch them

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

The fine is a minimum of Euro 300 I believe . The shopkeepers have tried protesting laying out white sheets in the streets and asking for the buyers aslo to be fined but they still seem to be rife . Also the number of leather shops with chinese owners seems to have tripled and there are some interesting fakes.. G&D and occi bags rather similar to the originals.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

You inquired about price. It is the barter system. They start out asking one very high price and you counter with a lower price and it goes back and forth until you both reach (usually the buyer) a price that is acceptable to both of you.

They are fakes, poorly made and if you know good ,original bags you can spot them as fakes at 50 paces.

Save your money and buy the real thing.

I watched people buying 5 and 10 of these bags in Venice this summer. It crossed my mind that if the US customs opens their suit caes and finds all these fake bags they will take them away and fine you for buying illegal items

Price ..Oh you can get them for about 30 to 50 euros...if you are willing to bargain with the seller for a long time. Most people pay much more..in the 120 to 150 range.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

How interesting. I must admit I have never even stopped to see how it is all done.

Too scared someone pinches my real ones as I watch.

Hope this gets banished soon.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

You know it's quite amazing why this is allowed. I'm due in Venice next week but last year in Florence there was the same thing - goods laid out in the street and the sellers mainly from africa - Italy for all its surface arrogance seems to allow migration on a huge scale of these non worker immigrants. They really spoil the look of these historic places although these cities have in the past seen their fare share of decadence and petty crimes. The women with babies who plague tourists near Giottos tower etc - I'd like to know how and why they are allowed in - they have no jobs not contributing - I find this a mystery! Any theories?

Don't buy from them as it is illegal same as the suitcase bloke in Oxford Street. Somehow these sellers in Italy are ten times as blatant - the shops they sell outside of should have the right to get the police to move them on and fine them.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
255 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Illegal Bags in Venice?

Just returned as well...and saw these sellers all set up on steps behind St Marks between the gondola stand and Emporio Armani..the police came along and the sellers took their time packing the bags up ..nothing was confisgated, and they were set up again in the same spot less than an hour later.. Not sure about prices..but know here in NJ home pocketbook parties are held and these knock offs sell from $50-$100.