We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money to take?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
How much money to take?

How long is a piece of string question I know but would like a rough idea and then take bank cards as a back up. Going for 3 nights and there half a day on the fourth. Plan on wining and dinning by night and seeing the sights by day. Would be handy to know how much meals set you back, a beer, bottle/glass of wine etc so I won't be totally shocked when I get there and can then work out some sort of daily budget. I realise this will vary across the board but just after a rough idea and some tips.

Thanks

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money to take?

There is little pount in taking large amounts of euros with you. Lots of ATMs around Venice, just tell your card issuer or issuers in advance that you plan to go to Venice so that they do not close your card facility. Then you can draw money as you need it rather than risk (the faitrly rare) attentions of a pickpocket.

Leaving aside bed and breakfast, my wife and I budget for around 100 euros a day in Venice for the pair of us.

Local beer and wine are cheap by UK standards, so is coffee the further away you get from Piazza San Marco. I do most of my eating and drinking west of the Grand Canal in Dorsoduro, San Polo and S. Croce sestiere as generally better value for money and better quality than east of the Grand Canal in San Marco sestiere. For the same reason I use Hotels in same area.

My wife and I usually have a beer or a spritz and pannini or tramezzini or cichetti for a light lunch. Cost for the two upto 20 euros. Dinner we have wine and a couple of courses - a starter and a pasta dich or a secondi (main dish) and a sweet and expect to pay around 80 euros or slightly less for the two of us. If we just have a pizza, as we do from time to time they are generally under 10 euros a full pizza.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money to take?

As you are staying on the Dorsoduro, make your way to the Campo Santa Margarita, this is the students quarter, a very lively Campo, you can eat well and cheaply there, we find the Piers Dickens Inn, on the Campo, good value a varied Menu, and really lovely selection of Pizza,

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money to take?

Thanks for the replies. 100 Euro a day sounds reasonable enough to me. Will try and keep away from the centre when eating and drinking after reading some reviews they’ve said about some extortionate prices where you have to pay to listen to a band and you get charged more for ordering from your table? Don’t mind paying the extra for the location as long as I know exactly what I’m paying for before hand.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money to take?

Robert-as always- is spot on and gives all the detail you need.I wanted to comment on your question regarding paying for the music.

There are cafe/restaurants on St. Mark's square (Florian, Quadri,Lavena) which have orchestras playing and where the base prices themselves (without any music supplement) are high.These won't fit within your 100 euro target.

But after all this is the Piazza San Marco the most beautiful drawing room in Europe and you may well decided to have a splurge, but watch how much it will cost.

Other than that Venice need not cost much more than almost any city in the eurozone.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money to take?

Benjii - As Lovetrav says, the prices at the cafes in St Mark's are high and if the orchestra is playing you pay 6 euros per person extra (think that is the current price). On the other hand, you raise the point about knowing the cost in advance, and at these cafes the waiter will bring you a menu with price list before you order - so you do know what you are paying. Yes it is expensive, and it 's certainly extremely extravagant if you just drop by for a quick drink, but if you view the experience as your evening's entertainment and sit and enjoy your drink for an hour or more (the waiters won't bother you to order again or leave) in the most fantastic setting, then this would be one of the highlights of your Venice trip. To keep within your daily budget, you could have a cheap pizza meal beforehand (even a takeaway). Alternatively, you can just wander around the Piazza and listen to the orchestras for free.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money to take?

illyria, lovetrav and I all agree that a visitor should not ever miss San Marco Sq. it is ratherr like telling someone not to see the Empire State Building, or the GreatWall of China because it is expensive to visit them. San Marco is a very beautiful and unique place.

Illyria gives you good advice, as she always does. Go sit at one of the cafes and have a drink and listen to the music. It can be your evenings entertainment. It is called making a memory!

if you are an old visitor to Venice then you probably will skip the experience.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money to take?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not on any particular budget really and when I've travelled in the past have spent more than that. We're both in our mid twenties so will want to at least experience the square especially if it's everything it looks in the pictures and as good as everyone says- at the end of the day costs nothing to look I suppose-best things in life are free etc etc!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,999 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money to take?

I agree nice to just soak up the ambience, that costs nothing,

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money to take?

Thanks, Agatha, for the kind words but I must disagree with your comment that frequent visitors to Venice will probably skip the experience of enjoying a drink in St Mark's Square. It's a pleasure I always enjoy, no matter how often I visit Venice. It is a wonderful way to end an evening, especially when the midnight bells ring out. Looking forward to doing it again later this week. The atmosphere in the Piazza is so heartening - people of many different nationalities and of all ages enjoying the music, everyone in a happy mood and wearing big smiles on their faces. There can't be many places in the world with similar outdoor orchestras providing free music every night. Anyone know of anywhere else similar?

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money to take?

Best 10 Euros I spent this weekend was for an espresso at Quadri in Piazza San Marco. Oddly it came with a small jug of hot milk. There was also a small jug of water, a glass and a well starched napkin. The music was fab and it was lovely to sit and relish the experience. Some people wanted to sit and not order drinks and were turned away quite sharply, but I found the service pleasant and very dignified.