We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
36 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Hi

My wife and I are stopping in Venice for 10 days in mid-October. Venice itslef is of course the main attraction, but e think it would be good to visit somewhere historic outside Venice, by train. We are on a fairly limited budget.

Any suggestions or recommendations, anyone?

WS

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

My favourite day trip from Venice is Verona. It is not a long train trip and so you have lots of time in Verona. Also the trains are frequent.Verona is a beautiful city with lots to see. When you get to Verona it is just a short walk to the center of town.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Padua is not very far, a very interesting City to visit,

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Both the above suggestions are feasible-Verona about 1 1/2 hours, Padua 40 minutes.

Verona as a a city has more to offer.Depending on you interest in art

the major attraction in Padua is the Capella (chapel) degli Scrovegni

with Giotto's marvelous sries of frescoes.

Given a choice I'd go for Verona.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Lots of choices for a day out from Venice. Ones I have enjoyed are -

Padua (the Scrovegni Chapel is a must for aret lovers)

Treviso

Vicenza (particularly good collection of buildings designed by Palladio)

Verona ( excluding the tacky Juliet's balcony)

Mantova (much neglected by tourists, but stands very high indeed in my estimation)

Bassano del Grappa (not only for the drink!)

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,002 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Try Trieste --less than 2 hours away by train -- the little Vienna on the sea.

Level Contributor
227 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

As everyone knows my vote is for my town, Bassano del Grappa-

have a look on the Bassano del Grappa forum. The great thing about it is that you dont have to DO anything. It's not touristy!!!! You can be just like the Italians, sit in a cafe and people watch, drink a nice glass of wine, enjoy the view of the river ... dont forget an aperitivo at Nardini on the bridge!...And the people are extremely friendly. If you ask them a question, you may very well make a new friend! It will cost you 4 euro each way for a train ticket, you walk 5 minutes right into the town center, and there are lots of little bars where you can have an economical lunch.

enjoy

brezza

Chicago
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Try Ravenna! A little bit further than Verona or Padua (it is outside the Veneto), but the train is not expensive and you will see lovely historic churches in a beautiful friendly town. Few tourists. The highlight of the churches are the amazing mosaics. I was in Venice 4 months, and this was my favorite day trip of them all. It will be great if what you are seeking is a relaxing getaway to a place with a historic feel. If instead you want to see several historic sites in a single day, then go for Verona.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

We would love to have you come visit Ravenna. It is not an easy place to get to from Venice. There is no direct train service ,alas. You have to change trains . (:

I agree with lovetrav, Verona is a perfect place to visit for a day. Go to the Verona Forum and inquire as to what to do and see. Dave is the Verona Expert and an expert he is!

The train ride from Venice is easy and the station is easy. There are buses and taxis at the door of the station. Dave told me to go to Pz Bra and take the Romeo tour bus. It was wondeerful! An hour and a hlaf and I saw the entire town (granted only from the outsie). Then my husband and I went to Pz Erbe and had lunch at a sidewalk restaurant and watched the world go by.

it is a beautiful and interesting town!

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Bookmarking, I also appreciate the suggestions.

Torino
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go FROM Venice for a day

Padova has a great market on Saturays! The atmosphere is wonderful and the setting, in the large piazzas in the historic centre, gives it the right touch!

If you go to Verona, you might also want to go and see an opera in the Arena (if that's your thing).