We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

9/22 - 9/26

After months of anticipation and planning we finally arrived at Marco Polo airport and easily grabbed a bus for the train station. This being our 2nd trip, as "Venerans" (Venice Veterans) we confidently bought our Vaporetto tickets and strode towards the landing for the #1 boat (I think). You can never recapture the first time you emerge from the train station and see Venice for the first time, so the 2nd arrival had more of a warm and fuzzy "we're back" feel.

Ca d' Oro was the stop and after a short walk we were at our hotel, the Hotel Antico Doge. What a nice little jewel! Our room was ultra quiet, had a gorgeous chandalier from Murano, and a more than adequate bathroom, which is always nice. The hotel is situated on the eastern end of Cannaregio, facing the Campo Dei SS Apostoli, a vibrant little square at the end of the Strada Nova shopping district. As far as I was concerned, this was a perfect location, especially considering the things we wanted to do during this visit. The Rialto Bridge and San Marco were both a short walk away, but at the same time we weren't overrun with the throngs of tour groups that you see parading around Piazza San Marco.

The weather was AMAZING. Four days of brilliant sunshine and blue skies made for a great start to a 16 day vacation.

Highlights:

The Rialto Market - I was blown away by how much fresh food is brought in on a daily basis. Fresh fruit and veggies everywhere. I would LOVE to have access to something like this here at home. Unfortunately, we have to settle for Wegman's and the like.

The Jewish Ghetto - What an interesting section with an even more interesting (and powerful) history. I learned some things that I didn't know previously.

Isola San Giorgio Maggiore - What an underrated excursion. Granted, there isn't much to do there, but the view from the tower is the best in Venice (for my money) and it's a chance to get away from the crowds. We specifically went close to sunset, and I think that made a difference.

Harry's Bar - The wife insisted on going in and having a Bellini.

Getting Lost (not really) - As the experts always say, just wandering the streets, especially at night, is an experience in and of itself. We roamed the streets of Castello one night and next thing you know we were at the walls of the Arsenale with two big lion statues standing guard to the entrance. Very cool.

"Funny if you were there" story:

Looking for a nice Italian made jacket, we strode up and down the Strada Nova popping in and out of stores checking stuff out. One jacket in particular caught my eye so I go in and take a look, and the guy in the store insisted I try it on, which I did. It fit perfectly, felt great, and in my head I was ready to buy, especially since the guy kept saying "bello!". I politely asked the gentleman how much.......

You know the feeling when you're looking at something, and you ask how much it is, and when you find out you try to hide the fact that the item is waaaaaaaay out of your price range? I think you know where I'm going here.

Restaurant of note:

Carpaccio - located along the lagoon just down from San Zacharia. The Risotto Primavera is to die for. We ate here during our first trip to Venice and TWICE during this visit. Reservations preferable.

Sorry for the length, but it's so hard to summarize so much in a small space. I barely scratched the surface!

On to Bellagio!

wilmington
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Glad you had a fabulous time! Enjoy the rest of your trip keep us posted:)

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Thanks cariblonde ... we returned home on Monday and I'm working on the other trip reports. I'm already jonesing for a cappucino and a pastry!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Michael G, if I could take you and your wife back there with me next month, I would do it ! thank you so much for such a warm and heartfelt trip report. I could feel the love that you have for Italy coming through your words. You make me want to hop on a plane right this minute! Ahhh, that memory of cappucino never goes away.....................:-) Someday I am going to rent an apartment somewhere in Italy just so that I can go to all these little meat markets, and vegetable/fruit markets and buy all that wonderful food to take home and prepare.

Carpaccio is a new restaurant name for me. I will check that out !

Never be sorry for longish trip reports---you have only left me wanting more!! Feel free to elaborate!!!

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Thanks for the report. We will be going to in November for our second time and can't wait. I am glad for your restaurant tip, we will certainly check it out. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

I'm with wittyone- I love well-written long trip reports! I'm heading to Venice in November for the first time and trip reports like yours are invaluable.

Definitely will have to try Carpaccio. And I look forward to the forthcoming trip reports!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

WOW~~~~~ is everyone going to Venice in November ???????????

:-) :-) :-)

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

witty - you will not be disappointed with Carpaccio. My wife and I don't really eat seafood, and they had a decent selection of non-seafood dishes.

They treated us like gold there, as well. The first night we ate there we went through two bottles of wine and some amazing food and some good conversation with the waiters. We told them Carpaccio was our favorite restaurant in Venice, so they brought us Limoncello shots and gave us a Carpaccio ashtray!

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Thanks to all for your kind words. I hope to have some short videos up on YouTube as well to demonstrate some typical travel experiences and show people what they are missing if they don't go!

Maplewood
Level Contributor
78 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

What was the price range for Carpaccio? We are going in October unlike everyone else, we leave on Friday for a 9 day trek thru Paris and Italy.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
217 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Ahhh ... Venice

Thanks for the report.

My flight leaves tomorrow for Venice, we arrive Friday for 5 days in the city.

This will be my second visit as well, the first time my wife and I were there for just a day, we had to come back, So we are headed back.

Then we have a 12 day cruise of the Greek Isles ending in Naples and Rome before flying home. Still Venice is the thing I am most looking forward to.