We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Venice to Rome

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
370 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Train Venice to Rome

I have been searching the Trenitalia website for a timetable for a train from Venice to Rome in January. It is only coming up with one option which is departs ar 3.11AM. I find it odd that it only shows one train, I know there would be more than that. Is this because I am looking too far in advance? I am wanting to book a number train trips in Europe for Dec/Jan is it best to book through the train companies website or are there better alternatives.

Thank you

NJ
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Venice to Rome

when we took the train last week, the train went hourly...

I know lots of people purchased ad hoc tickets from the station itself.

we used an agent for the bookings so we had out tickets well in advance.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Venice to Rome

European railroads typically change their schedules in December. This year, it is supposed to be on December 9. At least as far as Trenitalia is concerned, the complete revised schedule - which historically does not change much from year to year - should be up by that date.

Booking through the train companies is best; they do not have mark-ups, while most resellers do.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
370 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Venice to Rome

Thank you for your replies. Usually we when we travel by train in Europe I do not bother booking in advance but as this time we are travelling during Christmas and New Year I thought it might be best to book before we leave NZ.

Is the 9th Dec the date that most of the european companies update their schedules? We are travelling in Switzerland, Germany, Austra, Slovenia and italy. Thank you.

Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Venice to Rome

Earlier this year I couldn't make reservations more than 60 days before travel on the Trenitalia website. Schedules were also incomplete that far out.

5. Re: Train Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:19