We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

I posted this on the Florence forum but got no response so maybe it is too weird to ask...but I'll try here anyway!

I returned recently from a trip to Venice and Florence and purchased very few souvenirs. Yesterday my cat smashed my favorite into a million little pieces. It was a ceramic tile that had two cats on it and (ironically enough) said "Attenti Al Gatti." I actually got it in Florence but imagine it is available in Venice, too. I think it was about 12 Euros...if anyone is going to Italy can you purchase one for me and I will gladly pay you back for the tile and for postage?? I have a picture of the exact tile I found on the internet (someone has a pic of it in their photo album of their vacation to Italy.)

Thanks so much!!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Travelbug, I will certainly look for you. I don't usually do much shopping while in Italy, but if you can point me to the right type of shop, I'd be happy to look ! Where is the picture posted? We are going to both Florence and Venice. Sorry, I didn't see this on the Florence forum.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Oh THANK YOU!! Here is the link to the pic:

www.flickr.com/photos/carolienc/1427047060/

Probably any touristy type souvenir shop would have it. And the specific shop in Florence is on the main pedestrian shopping street right as you come off the Ponte Vecchio (central town side, not Altarno side) on the right side. It had many touristy type stuff for sale and the tiles were in the back of the shop on the left by the cashier.

Again, thanks and let me know if you can get it, I'll pay you back right away!!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Wittyone. So glad to hear you are going to Florence as well as Venice. Have a wonderful time. This will be your fist trip to Venice ?Will look forward to your trip report. Travelrrr

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Your welcome travelbug, but please don't thank me until I actually find one!!! LOL !! Shouldn't be too hard though, I don't think. I will post on TA from Florence and let you know !! Will be there from the 10th to the 15th !! Ciao!!

Hi travelrrr ! yes i am returning for the third time to Florence--what can I say ? I love it!! LOL ! And this will be my first time in Venice and Parma and Zagarolo and Lucca, so I have lots of excitement ahead of me !! Thank you !!!!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Wittyone..Whats not to love about Florence? My favourite after Venice. I hope after Venice it will be your second favourite. Have a wonderful trip.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

TravelBug102, when I was in Florence and Venice this past May, I kept looking for something with cats on it, and didn't see anything. I love this tile. Do you remember where in Florence you found it? At the market place area perhaps?

I will return to Florence and Venice this coming December. I will certainly be on the look out for the "attention all cats" tile and if you haven't gotten one by then, and I find them, I'll gladly bring one back for you. I'll watch this forum (every day in anticipation of my trip :-)) to see if you've gotten it.

Thanks for the idea!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

I think it translates to "Beware cats!". I've seen tiles such as this in a number of shops, in English as well as Italian. You should find one easily enough, the market in Florence would be a good place to look too.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

In Florence if you go to Piazza dela Signoria and walk straight on Via Del'Anguillara when you come to the end of the street on the left hand side you will see a shop with mirrors hanging on the walls outside. Inside this shop you will find the plaque with the cats.

If you see Pz Santa Croce in front of you you are in the right place.

There are also little shops selling this type of thing in the Pz Santa Croce.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

Thanks Agatha!!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Special request for anyone going to Venice soon

The street as you come off the Ponte Vecchio is Via Por Santa Maria. As the OP says if you turn right you will walk right into Pz Della Signoria Th first right takes you into the Uffizi. So I think she means the second right.