We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lido Venice

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lido Venice

I found accomodations in Lido that sound interesting. However, we've never been to Venice or Italy before. We're only staying in Venice for two nights. Is Lido out of the way to visit the sights?

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lido Venice

The Lido is not in Venice proper and requires about a 15 to 20 minute boatride to get to and fro.

I love the Lido but if this is your first trip to Venice I would have recommended staying in Venice proper (especially if you're going during the winter).

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lido Venice

Agreee with Mr JCG1 especially if you only have 2 nights. When you stay in Venice it is just so easy to go out and explore. You can come and go from your hotel and just walk everywhere. If you really want to experience Venice I would not stay on the Lido (unless you have some compelling reason to do so).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lido Venice

Agree with previous posters. If you still want to stay at Lido, it's essential that your hotel there is as close as possible to the vaporetto stop, from where the boats will get you to St. Mark's Square in 15 minutes. The name of the Square on Lido where the boats leave is Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta.

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lido Venice

Thanks to all of you for your quick responses. The distance most be the reason the lodging is more reasonably priced than other lodging. I'll keep looking.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lido Venice

I just want to join those who are trying to persuade you to stay in the city proper.The Lido is a viable, indeed pleasant,altenative in the summer season allowing escape from the heat.

But it is essentially a seaside resort which is a sad place during the winter.Of course-particularly out of season-hotel prices are significantly lower.It all depends on your budget but I'd be willing to drop a star or two for accomodation within Venice itself.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lido Venice

You do not say when you are looking to go, in Winter the Lido could be quite bleak, and the prices in Venice are much more reasonable, really think its preferable,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,643 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lido Venice

Whilst the Lido is very accessible with water buses making the 15 minute journey every few minutes and a service all through the night iyt soon mounts up at 6 euros a trip. Very sensible to buy a 48 hour ACTV pass.

As several others have said, the Lido is fine in its own way, but it is not Venice. Very different character, perfectly safe but nowhere near the same wealth of fine buildings or great art which you find everywhere in Venice proper.. So, if reasonably priced accommodation can be found in Venice itself, then I would say stay in Venice everytime, if only to enjoy it in the early morning and late evenings when it is free of so many day trippers.

Venice - Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lido Venice

I agree with Robert-J.

Lido is a nice area, but I think that it's not good if it's your first time in Venice. If you are on budget try to find an accomodation in a lower cathegory hotel, but stay in Venice!

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lido Venice

It appears we are all in agreement. I just thought I would add that the Lido is better than staying in Mestre, however. So, keep that in mind when hotel hunting.

10. Re: Lido Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 22:18