We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single woman, first trip to Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Single woman, first trip to Venice

Ciao Tutti,

I'm a black single american woman leaving for Venice soon. I might have a few more questions as I get closer to my trip.

I have been to Italy several times but this is my first trip to Venice. I am going during Thanksgiving.

I don't have a problem eating lunch by myself and that meal will probably be the biggest of the day. It's dinner that throws me.

What are some good casual places I can go for a small bite to eat/ or for a drink where I won't feel like a dork eating/standing by myself?

Also any lunch suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Grazie.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,622 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

I have just come back from a trip to Venice by myself. I made reservations for dinner at 2 restaurants. 1 was the Osteria al Garanghelo on Via dei Botteri in the San Polo sestiere just past the Rialto bridge. This is a mom an d pop place where poppa cooks and momma help with the customers.She speaks a lot of English too. They made me feel very welcome and I stayed talking to some other folks almost until the place closed. Th e food was good and fairly reasonable. They asked me afterwards to send them a postcard from California to add to their collection.

They have a web site to which you can e-mail or your hotel can make the res for you.www.algaranghelo.it or e-mail ostaria@algaranghelo.it

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,005 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

Think Riffs moms advice is good ,that is a really friendly Osteria,

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

I second the recommendation for al Garanghelo. Great little place.

Here are some places where I've eaten dinner by myself and felt completely comfortable. These would be good for lunch too.

da Alberto

Bancogiro

La Zucca

da Carla

Trattoria San Toma

Al Prosecco

Cavatappi

Have a great trip!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

caribbeanragazza, you are going to have the best time in Venice! I traveled solo to Italy this past spring, and fell in love with Venice so much so that I will return in December.

Thank you to the other posters with restaurant suggestions, I will try some of those for myself. I enjoyed going to small "bars" where they served "chichettes" - small bites. I would pick a few interesting things and a nice glass of wine and visit with others. This works well when you are hungry and it's say maybe 5 or 6pm - too early for dinner but you need something. There's one in the Dorsoduro area - can't remember the name, but I can get it for you if you would like.

Ciao for now! - Gela

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

Hit a few ciccheti bars for dinner - a great way to sample a large variety of authentic Venetian food - especially seafood. I especially liked Alla Verdova in Cannaregio and Gia Schiave in Dorsoduro near the Accademia. Traveled solo to Venice in Oct. solo and it is a fun way to meet others - just nudge your way up to the bar, point (at food), and order vino bianco or vino rosso.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

You won't 'feel like a dork' -what a lovely expression! I'm an English male, been to Venice 3 times on my own, and can assure you there are plenty of people around on their own. Locals and visitors. Don't worry, you'll love it, its beautiful. Try to avoid the over-priced places around St Marks, though, better value to be had away from the St Marks area.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

Grazie mille everyone. I will print out these suggestions. I can't wait to go. The guidebooks I ordered from Amazon.com just arrived.

8. Re: Single woman, first trip to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:19